Monday, July 02, 2007

Anyone Got A Kleenex?

OK, I wasn't going to say anything. I was just going to let this past week pass by without a mention. But enough is enough . . .

As some of you may already know from reading Kelly's blog, my whole family is supposed be in Hawaii right now - as in my parents, my sister and her family, Kelly, Tate and I.

The reason we're not is because of an emergency back surgery that my sister had to undergo last Friday. Long story short is that a piece of her vertebrae broke off and was in danger of severing nerves that are necessary for walking. So, yeah - we opted to postpone Hawaii until next year!

The good thing is that Tisha is now at home and is expected to make a full recovery! Yea, God!

The cancelled trip is a bummer but we're all taking it in stride. Not even my 7 and 9-year old niece and nephew are complaining despite weather that makes you wish you were anywhere but in North Texas (Seriously, enough of the rain already!).

So we've been trying to make it up to the kids by trying to make them feel like they're really not missing out on anything (yeah, right!). Unfortunately that got a little harder today when they got a phone call from their vet saying that their 14-year old miniature Yorkshire had throat cancer and needed to be put down!

Can it get any worse for these guys?

First, their mom goes into emergency surgery. Then they're told that they won't be going on the summer trip to Hawaii that we've all been hyping up for the last 2 years. And now they had to go to the animal hospital to say good-bye to their favorite little lap dog!

I can't even begin to describe the wailing and gnashing of teeth at my sister's house today. Those poor kids! I just hate to see their little hearts break like that.

Kelly and I are gonna try to be Super Aunt/Uncle and take them to the mall tomorrow. I'll take Trip to see Transformers and Kelly, Tate and Mary Tish will do a little shopping.

It certainly isn't kickin' back on Waikiki or running around in the back yard with little Buffett, but the way this week is going - what else are ya' gonna do?

8 comments:

Keri said...

Man, what else... Your rain issues make me so sad. It was so depressing down there to not be able to plan anything for 4 days because of the rain.

Shannon said...

Wade! That is so sad. I feel bad for everyone involved. What a crummy week!

Hopefully the rain will stop and maybe you can act like you are in Hawaii at mom and dad's house:)

Anonymous said...

Shoot. That stinks.

Throw a BBQ w/Hawaiian shirts, grass skirts and leis, play some games, then go jump in the pool!

Props to you if you go all the way and roast a pig in the backyard.


S'mores afterwards!

(not even interested in the pig now just get the chocolate, marshmallows & graham crackers ready)

Butch

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Poor kids, glad you are willing to take them out for some "fun" I don't think anything can be better than hawaii though..so sad!

Wade said...

Hey Keri,

You could have come over to our house! We're a whole 2 minutes north of Keller!
____________________________

Hey Shannon,

We're packing our bags right now to head over to your parents' house . . . dark clouds are looming!
____________________________

Hey Butch,

Kelly and I just got a good laugh at the thought of trying to roast a full pig in Rick's backyard.

More than just not tasting right, it would probably end up being a pretty disturbing visual for the kids!

I like the S'mores idea though!
____________________________

Hey Suz,

While we were at the mall yesterday, Mary Tish (7-years old) turned to me and said, "Uncle Wade, do you know that if we were in Hawaii we'd be on the beach right now."

Thanks for reminding me, kid!

Despite the constant reminders, I think Mary Tish & Trip's Day of Fun was a success - at least so much so that they are still here at our house!

Anonymous said...

Wow how disappointing (besides the good knews about the surgery went fine).

I can fully understand that you'd have loved to get away from RAIN. Yesterday we had ICERAIN in Germany and this is supposed to be July and summer!

And losing a pet is hard for grownups, but for kids :-(
I guess one never forgets his first pet!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hi Wade,

Glad your sister is recovering. Hawaii, will still be there next year...God willing.;)

Wade said...

Hey Helen,

Icerain, or sleet if you're from around here, in July would have definitely shot our wheels off as well!

That's why I'm so slow to buy into global warming. Seeing how we've yet to hit a day with a triple digit temperatures (fahrenheit, of course!) I'm more apt to believe global cooling or even global watering if in you're in Texas.

The kids are doing better though!
______________________________

Hey Russ,

If Hawaii gets scratched then I'm gonna suggest we all go to British Columbia instead!

Thanks for stopping by,

W