Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Stupid Questions

I used to be a big believer in the statement that there is no such thing as a stupid question.

If you really don’t know the answer then how can it be a stupid question, right? But maybe what makes a question stupid is when the answer is obvious. Really obvious. As in painfully obvious!

Case in point – I went to my local friendly office supply retailer to purchase a wireless keyboard and mouse.

After selecting said item, I proceeded to the check-out lane where I was greeted with a smile by a 20'ish-year old woman I’ll refer to as Phoebe.

During my check-out process, I noticed Phoebe showing a particular interest in my keyboard and mouse. She kept starring at it like she was trying to figure something out.

And that’s when she asked me, “So . . . what are you going to use this for?”

“ . . . . uh . . .”

I didn’t respond immediately because I was half expecting Phoebe to reach over and slap the 'Easy Button' . . .


. . . nope, just a blank stare!

“Well . . . um . . . I’m thinking about using it when I work on my computer.”

Phoebe then smiled and gave me a knowing nod, “Oh, cool!”

I’m sure if you went back and watched the security camera footage you would see me glancing back over my shoulder at Phoebe as I walked out the door still trying to figure out if that whole exchange was for real or not.

For Phoebe’s sake, I hope the joke was on me!

Anyone else have a stupid question story?

4 comments:

See-Dub said...

OK, here's a different kind of stupid question:

A young mom once stopped me at a kids' basketball game to ask, "Was you my English teacher?"

(I wasn't; she was in my photography class. Whew!)

Anonymous said...

I have customers with stupid questions all the time ;-)

They mostly make me want to hit THIS
http://www.samanther.com/pictotd/panic-button.jpg
button which - by the way - I really have. You can purchase them online and just stick them somewhere :-)

Keri said...

HA! :) What a random thing. Seriously makes me wonder sometimes about our youth. (Did that make me sound old or what?)

Amy said...

Strz,

This is BD. I may have already shared this with you...

My brother-in-law lives in Tyler and he and his wife went through "pre-birth" class before my nephew was born.

On the final day of class, the teacher asked, "Okay, so does anyone have any final questions before the BIG DAY?"

This guy in the back of the class (who had not said one word or even participated the entire time) raised his hand and said, and I quote, "Yeah, what's da biggest baby deh ev-uh wuz?"