Friday, October 31, 2008

My Observations From Our 10-Year Reunion at ACU Last Weekend


1. Don’t sign up to help with the Annual Fund Campaign unless you’re comfortable with calling people you haven’t talked to in a really long time to ask them to donate large sums of money to ACU while the economy is bad, they're still paying off students loans, and/or they’re expecting another baby soon.

2. If you haven’t heard from me in years but suddenly notice my name pop up on your caller ID . . . don’t pick up the phone unless you’re comfortable listening to me stammer around for 20 minutes while I work up the nerve to ask you to donate large sums of money to ACU and then beg you to come back for Homecoming.

3. In case you forgot, Eastland is a speed trap!

4. In case you get pulled over in Eastland, be polite, smile, apologize and whimper as if you’re about to cry. Apparently that’s all it takes to get away with only a warning!

(Whew!)

5. There are two ways to be cool at ACU. First way: Pull out your iPhone in the middle of Chapel and text the person sitting two seats down from you – hey, all the other students were doing it!



6. Or, the second way . . . you can just be Kooooooooool!


(Is it just me or am I starting to look like Kool with my sunglasses and whiskers????)


7. Of all the people I bumped into, only once did I find myself in a conversation with someone who I apparently was supposed to know but had absolutely no clue who they were. I just kept thinking, “Keep the conversation as vague and generic as possible!”

8. There’s no quicker way to endear yourself to the President of ACU than by handing him your child and making he and his wife pose for a photo by saying, “Full Scholarship!”


(Now I have photographic evidence that he promised Tate a full ride!)

9. Judging by how things went during the Gamma Sigma Phi Breakfast, the guys I was in club were the most fun. All the younger alumni were way too serious and kept looking over their shoulders at us. All in good fun, boys!

10. Carrying a highchair through The Bean for your son to sit in is a very surreal moment.

11. Why is it that when Tate screams at the top of his lungs and runs circles around The GATA Fountain all the college girls giggle and comment on how cute he is . . . but when I did the same thing 10 years ago they all just looked the other way and acted like I didn’t exist?


12. You know you’re old when you can be overheard saying while walking across campus, “Wow! I can’t believe how big these trees have grown!” I must have said that 20 times!


13. You also know you’re old when you’re actually excited about going back to the hotel for Tate’s afternoon nap instead of going to the football game – GSP breakfast came really early that morning!

14. I now have another reason to be insanely jealous of my best friend/college roommate's back swing. Not only did Brian's group win the Homecoming Golf Tourney but he made a freakin' hole-in-one! I'm telling you, his back swing is such sweetness!

The sad part is that there was a hole-in-one contest for a free pick-up truck on the front nine - Brian made his ace on the back nine! But don't feel sorry for him, he still walked away with a free set of irons. Plus, this is his 3rd hole-in-one!

He's such a show-off, the jerk!


(Thanks Amy for letting me steal your photo!)

15. The two things that make the weekend all worthwhile: Great friends & great memories!

8 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

KOOL! That is so weird I totally forgot about him and yes, you do look like him

What fun memories! Has been 10 years, really?

Time flies when you are having fun, I guess

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Uh yes, I am up at 4:30, I just can't seem to sleep on the weekends anymore.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hi, Wade,

For a joke next time ACU calls you for something you are not into, like calling others, tell them you have an on-line friend that will be looking for work as a theology professor and ask them to call me. Feel free to pass on my blog info.;)

Russ:)

Shannon said...

#8 and #11 made me laugh! It was a fun weekend, and great to hang out with you and Kelly! Kelly, I love that shirt in the last picture...so pretty on you!! Wade, you looked pretty too:)

Sarah B said...

Thanks for your recap. I so enjoyed the weekend, too, and also had several surreal moments. We went to school with some good folks, of that I'm sure.

Wade said...

Hey Suz,

I was standing along the sidewalk with friends waiting for the parade to start when we all saw him. You could hear us say in unison, "He's still alive???"

All the parents who didn't know him had big question marks over their heads!!!
___________________________________________

Hey Russ,

If you get hired on ACU's staff I'll come audit all your classes!

You would love it at ACU by the way. Well, maybe not the heat - but definitely the school!
___________________________________________

Hey Shannon,

I just wish it had been a better weekend for Brad. That whole HSU thing is really frustrating!
____________________________________________

Hey Sarah,

Great seeing you as well! Good times indeed!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W

Pearson Family said...

texting in chapel was insane!!!

Mauri said...

Hey Wade! Glad you had fun... you need to call phil and demand money from him since he didn't come. it's the least he can do! Sorry we didn't get to see you!