Monday, October 06, 2008

Wade & Tate's Little Adventure

Kelly, Tate and I drove down to San Antonio this past weekend to visit some friends who just had a baby. Since Kelly wanted some “Kelly time” with her old college roommate and baby Campbell, Tate and I hopped on plane back to D/FW on Saturday.

OK, so did you get that? Tate and I hopped on a plane . . . by ourselves . . . just him and me . . . no Kelly . . . no help . . . no supervising adults . . . no problem!

So here are a few observations of our 45-minute excursion at 25,000 feet.

1. You can get through security a whole lot faster when you’re a single parent with a child. Apparently TSA agents are suckers for blond-haired, blue-eyed, nearly 2-year olds who make an effort to show everyone his Hot Wheels car.

(I’m not sure if that’s supposed to make me feel better or worse about homeland security!)

2. Unfortunately the single-parent-with-child doesn’t get you squat at the food court. All I wanted to do was to purchase a cup of fruit yogurt. But after 4 minutes of standing at the cash register while waiting for the guy whose name tag simply said “trainee” to figure out how to run my credit card I caught myself actually wondering how bad it could be if Tate didn’t get a snack before getting on the plane. I never found out because “trainee” eventually figured it out.

(And yes, it was 4 minutes! You tend to notice how long things take when you're carrying two bags and restless child!)

3. At home, we’ll use videos from time to time when we need to occupy Tate for a few minutes. But apparently all we have to do is park a MD-80 in our backyard and he’ll stay glued to the window for hours.


4. There’s nothing better when you’re flying alone with a 22-month old when the lady at the gate informs you that there are only 30 people on your flight and you’ll have the entire aisle to yourself!

(Kudos to Kelly for booking us on this flight!)

5. There’s no doubt left in your mind on whether your 22-month old understands that he’s flying in an airplane when he starts yelling, “Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!” during take-off so loud that the pilot can hear him!

6. Thank the Lord in Heaven for portable DVD players!


7. The Evil Empire isn’t doing you any favors (and they rarely do!) when they make you stow away all your toys, books, and games prior to landing and then make you sit on the tarmac for 15 minutes with nothing to distract your child while you wait for some other plane to pull away from your gate. Have you ever tried to make the booklet explaining the emergency exits sound exciting to your child?

“And look, Tate! After we crash land in the ocean, we get to use our seat cushions as floatation devices until help arrives!”

It was a great little adventure for the two of us! Tate obviously won’t remember it, but it’ll go down as one of my favorites!

10 comments:

Katie said...

I will admit--I'm more than a little sad that you took Tate into the clutches of the Evil Empire rather than a nice quick flight into convenient little Dallas Love Field on SWA.

Ah well, he'll feel the LUV one day, I'm sure!

Keri said...

How fun! :) Making memories are my favorite.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I love flying. And I'd love to have an MD-80 in my backyard as well.

What a precious Daddy-Tate-Event!

Anonymous said...

AND I just wanted to say that it is Kelly's and your fault that I have now ordered the first season of "The Office" to check it out....

preacherman said...

I bet he had so much fun on the flight.
I am glad everyone made it home safe.
Keep up the great blogging.
You hav a talent Wade.
Have a wonderful week!

Jennifer said...

Good for you! Proud that you did that alone and glad that Kelly got some good girl time in!

Wade said...

Hey Katie - Pass this on to your manager, start flying out of Alliance Airport and I'll be your #1 fan and frequent flyer!
___________________________________________

Hey Keri - Aren't memories great?
___________________________________________

Hey Helen - Having your own MD-80 would be great but can you imagine how much it would cost to fill that thing up with gas, er, petrol? :)

Good for you for buying The Office. Let me know when you see the stapler in the jello prank and tell me honestly if you actually stop to think who in your office you could do the same thing to!
___________________________________________

Hey preacherman - Thanks! Hope you're feeling well!
___________________________________________

Hey Jennifer - Thanks! It was fun and Kelly seemed to enjoy herself.

Thanks all for stopping by,

W

Hermes said...

Tate may become a pilot. One day, you will fly for free all because of this day.

Linda said...

Amen on all accounts! But you haven't TRULY experienced a flight until you take a nine hour flight with a babe... ha! Glad you guys had fun. :o)

laura said...

Oh, I feel your pain :) Amen to the portable DVD players and for next time, try a small bag off "new" goodies to slip under the seat in front of you so that you can have easy access whenever you need it. You did a great job Dad! Happy flying!