Sunday, February 15, 2009

Oh yeah! I have a blog!

I’m sorry to admit that my blog has fallen down my list of priorities as of late.

The new job is great but I come home with my head spinning so much that I haven’t had the mental capacity to create a coherent thought for the blogosphere.

I’ll try to do better . . .

I flew out to San Francisco with my dad a couple weeks ago to talk with a pharmaceutical company about doing clinical trials for them.

Knowing my family the way I do, I kept my guard up while expecting a “Griswald moment” to strike at anytime. It seems like every time my dad flies he gets interrogated by TSA agents as if he’s suspected of being some traveling Afghan chieftain with secret ties to the Taliban.

But actually the moment of note came mid-flight around 28,000 feet. I had my iPod rocking and I was hyperfocused on my book when I was tapped on the arm by the lady sitting next to me.

Lady: “Excuse me, are you familiar with this flight pattern?”

Me: “Uh . . . what do you mean by familiar with this flight pattern?”

She pointed out the window, “Well, we’re flying over snow – are we supposed to be flying over snow?”

Me: “ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .”

Lady: “Do you think we should be flying over snow?”

Me: “Uh . . . . well, I’m fairly confident the pilot knows where he’s going.”

I spent the rest of the flight watching her out of the corner of my eye and thinking what an odd question that was to ask someone.

I couldn’t believe my eyes the next day when I saw the same woman sitting behind me in my meeting. I was tempted to walk up to her during one of the breaks, point to the floor and ask, “Excuse me, are you familiar with this carpet pattern?”

Next month is Orlando. Is anyone out there familiar with the commercial flight patterns between D/FW and Orlando, Florida?

You know, just in case I see Crazy Question Lady again.

1 comment:

Audra Laney said...

I thought you'd fallen off the face of the earth! Glad to see you back among the blogosphere. What a crazy question to ask someone?! How some people come up with these type questions, I have no idea...