Monday, April 24, 2006

Has it already been 7 years?

Today is our 7th wedding anniversary!

This morning, Kelly said, "Wow! 7 years!" I have to admit that at first I got a little defensive, "What? Are you surprised that we made it this far?" On one hand I thought, if you expect to make it past your 50th anniversay then the 7th shouldn't be any big deal. But on the other hand, Kelly's right - it's 7 years! If you add our dating years, then Kelly and I have been in a relationship for 10 years - which is one third of my life! Wow! Needless to say, the last 10 years have been my favorite!

Just out of curiousity, I googled 'wedding anniversary' and this is what I found from the 52,800,000 search results:

- The gift suggestion for year 7 is either wool or copper (Thanks, that really narrows it down!)
- A vacation package called 'Romance in Canada' (I've never understood why Niagara Falls is the number one honeymoon destination in North America - there's not even a beach!)
- An advertisement for marriage counseling (It's the gift that keeps on giving!)
- A florist advertising an especially nice (and especially expensive) floral arrangement specially made for those knuckle-heads who forgot thier anniversary (If you forget your anniversary then you need to be thinking in much bigger terms than just up-sizing her flowers)
- Wedding Anniversary Speeches (No kidding, just fill in her name and you'll impress her with your spontaneous poetic rhetoric. Let's see . . . what rhymes with 'Kelly'?)
- Many, and I mean many, websites boasting exclusive photos of Prince Charles and Camilla as they vacation in Scotland during thier first wedding anniversary (Get a life, England!)

My favorite search result was a quote from Honore de Belzac (French novalist) who said, "A good marriage would between a blind wife and a deaf husband." Although I pretty much fulfill the position of a deaf husband, I think this is great advice on how to make it to the big 5-0. You have to close a blind eye and turn a deaf ear and instead focus on the things that make you smile.

If you have to know, for our anniversary I sent Kelly some flowers (I up-sized eventhough I didn't forget) and we purchased airline tickets to Playa del Carmen because water falls are over-rated!

I love you dearly, Kelly - always have, always will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I feel totally betrayed! It was just a few short weeks ago at Cody's birthday party and then again at Mario's birthday party that we made fun of Janell and Kelly for doing this blog thing! We talked about how we would NEVER do such a thing. We didn't pinky swear, but we might as well have! And now look at you. You should be ashamed of yourself!

Now that I got that off my chest, Happy Anniversary to you and Kelly! You guys are awesome and Janell and I are blessed to have you as friends.

Keeping my end of the bargain as a Non-Blogger,

Jody

Wade said...

Yeah, it took me a while to come to terms with being a blogger (I'm assuming that you read my post titled 'I have come to the Dark Side'). I will take credit for never having asked someone, "Have you read my blog lately?" Go ahead and slap me if you hear me say that to anyone - such blatant self-promotion should not be tolerated!

I won't try to get you to turn to the dark side as well, but when Kelly read your comments she said, "Hey, he's a good writer - he should have a blog of his own!"

Should you ever give in, let me know and I'll post a link to your blog . . .

We love you guys!