Friday, April 21, 2006

How tired (yawn!) are you?

One part of my job is to teach physicians how to use the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS) – which is a commonly used daytime sleepiness assessment tool.

Rate how likely you are to fall asleep in the following daytime situations using this scale:

0 – I’m wide awake with no chance of falling asleep.
1 – I’m a little tired but I can fight through it.
2 – There’s a good chance I could fall asleep.
3 – I’m out like a light!


Daytime Situation:

1. Sitting and reading
2. Watching television
3. Sitting inactive in a public place (eg, a theatre or meeting)
4. As a passenger in a car for an hour without a break
5. Lying down to rest in the afternoon when circumstances permit
6. Sitting and talking to someone
7. Sitting quietly after a lunch without alcohol
8. In a car, while stopped for a few minutes in traffic

Now total up your score.

Results:
0-10 – You are not considered to be excessively sleepy.
11-14 – You’re considered moderately sleepy. Try to keep from napping during the day and go to bed at a decent hour.
15-19 – There’s a good chance you have an underlying medical condition causing your excessive sleepiness. You may want to talk with your doctor.
20-24 – You are considered to be severely impaired by your excessive sleepiness. Untreated narcoleptic patients score in this range. See a doctor!

I usually score between 4-6. If you’re comfortable sharing, I’m curious how you scored.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm an 8, which surprised me because I tend to be able to fall asleep really easy anywhere, so I thought it would be higher. And I'm getting really sleepy just thinking of sleep, so I think I might go take a nap.

Eric Swayne said...

So I'm curious - what drug do you sell that keeps people from falling asleep? Is there something just that much greater than the ubiquitous Caffeine?

Wade said...

Absolutely! Google Provigil or modafinil and you'll get all the info you want. It's basically a non-stimulant that is indicated to improve wakefulness in patients with narcolepsy, obstructice sleep apnea and shift work sleep disorder. It's a really cool drug, medically speaking!