Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Obliviots be warned!

Janell's most recent posting reminded me of a term I recently learned used to describe the type of people that drive me crazy - obliviots!

obliviot - a term used to describe an idiot who is completely oblivious to those around them. Example: "That person just cut me off because they're talking on the cell phone and not paying attention to what they're doing! What an obliviot!"

I know how you feel, Janell! Certain people who don't have clue who you are seem to know exactly how to push that one button that makes you as mad as a hornet!

Some obliviots who I've recently come into contact with:

- The lady who chose to ignore her shreiking child in a crowded waiting room.
- The lady who used the Self Check Out Lane to purchase her month's worth of groceries . . . with coupons!
- The guy who shared his cell phone conversation with the rest of Chick-Fil-A.
- The guy in the movie theatre who actually answered his cell phone!
- The guy stepping on to the elevator who shot me a glare because I got in his way as I was stepping off!

Someone once told me, "Don't walk away mad - just walk away!" Sometimes that's easy to do, but sometimes it just plain maddening that people can be so oblivious to the way they make others feel.

In the meantime, obliviots be warned! Janell and I are watching you!

Feel free to comment on any of your own obliviot sitings!

2 comments:

Janell said...

O.k.! The child in the crowded waiting room sends me into orbit. I HATE that! Also, the dude on the elevator...isn't it the person who is getting off the elevator that gets to go first? Or, have I just been wrong about that all of these years? Praying for you tomorrow~
J

Wade said...

I always remember my mom yanking back by my ear anytime I stepped onto an elevator without letting people off first - so I'm thinkin' you're right!