Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Random Act of Kindness Alert!

Even though I often find myself in conversations with people I don’t know, I usually try to keep to myself when I’m on an airplane – I don’t want to be the obnoxious loud mouth when the guy next to me is trying to sleep, work or otherwise keep to himself.

Last week, however, was the exception because I was curious what the guy across the aisle from me thought about the book he was reading - called His Excellency by Joseph Ellis. It’s a book about George Washington - I nearly bought it a couple of weeks ago but decided to first wait to hear from someone who had already read it.

The guy across the aisle and I had a very pleasant 5-minute discussion about the book; to which he gave glowing reviews and even encouraged me to read other offerings by the same author.

As we were exiting the plane and walking up the jet bridge, he handed me the book and said, “Here. Enjoy!” He had finished the book on the flight and decided to give it to me rather than let it “start a dust collection” on his shelf at home! Wow – I really didn’t know what to say! At first I declined but he persisted.

He probably was only trying to lighten his own load, but in doing so he made a thoughtful gesture of kindness. It’s sad how such an act of thoughtfulness is so rare that it left me totally surprised and nearly speechless. I can only hope that it will have a lasting affect on me.

I suffer from the “Aw Man! Complex”; which refers to my recognizing an opportunity to commit a random act of kindness only after the moment has already passed – at which point you hear me say, “Aw Man!”

This happens a lot with Kelly and me. She says that she doesn’t like the skirt she’s wearing and I think to myself, “There’s nothing wrong with that skirt.” But after a few moments of silence have passed Kelly points out, “See! That was a great opportunity to say, ‘I think that skirt looks good – you should wear it.’ And then I say, “Aw Man!”

I guess I need to get the little angel on my shoulder to be a little quicker at whispering those comments in my ear – otherwise there may be some sudden turnover in that department!

In the meantime: Thanks again, Gordon – I look forward to reading my new book!


1 comment:

kel said...

good story :)