Saturday, May 06, 2006

Sam's Club MS150 - Day One!


Today was Day One of the Sam’s Club MS150 – which is a 2-day charity event where 3,000 cyclists ride 150 miles from Frisco, Texas to Downtown Fort Worth (all benefiting the National Multiple Sclerosis Society).

It’s safe to say that I was a little nervous coming into this weekend – I woke up this morning at 3:30 AM and was never able to go back to sleep. As it turned out, I didn’t have anything to worry about. I actually finished stronger than I had hoped.

Here are my numbers:

Distance: 78.5 miles
Time: 4:46:00 actually riding (6:30:00 including 8 rest stops)
Average Speed: 16.3 mph
Top Speed (Kelly doesn’t like this category): 31.6 mph


Kelly did her best to be a supportive wife by following behind in the car. I was impressed that she was able to navigate the North Texas country roads and pull up to at an intersection just as I was was riding by. When I saw her later at the lunch stop, I felt so bad that she was driving around by herself that I told her to go home and relax - she said, "Ok, bye!"


The best part of the day was bumping into a friend who used to go to church with me. I hadn’t seen Claude in probably 3 years! As it turned out, we rode almost the entire day together. It was great having Claude there to talk to me because it made the ride go faster - hopefully I was able to return the favor for him!

Right now I’m doing my best not to nap so that I can sleep easily tonight. Then the alarm clock will go off around 4:45 AM and I’ll be off to pedal another 72 miles!! The best part about tomorrow is that the first mile will be on the race track at Texas Motor Speedway!

Keep praying for me! I’ll give another update tomorrow night!

(Kelly took this picture just before our 7:00 AM start.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wade, we are really proud and impressed with you! Way to go!