Sunday, May 28, 2006

Who has the Right of Way?

OK, I need a little driving etiquette guidance:

Who has the right away when one car is pulling out of a parking spot and another car wants to pass by? I'm sick and tired of looking both ways before reversing out of a parking spot only to have my rear bumper nearly ripped off by some crazed parking lot jockey who’s giving me an earful (as well as an occasional finger) as they fly by!

I go by the "Quarter Panel Rule" - if your entire rear quarter panel extends into the driveway then you have the right of way. Otherwise, tap the brakes if you see a soccer mom because you know she won’t!

Let me know if I'm right or wrong!

By the way, here are some results from a recent poll where residents in the following 20 cities were surveyed and are listed in order from those reporting the most incidents of road rage to the fewest:

1. Miami
2. Phoenix
3. New York
4. Los Angeles
5. Boston
6. Washington/Baltimore
7. Detroit
8. San Diego
9. Houston
10. Philadelphia
11. Dallas/Ft. Worth
12. Denver
13. Chicago
14. Cleveland
15. San Francisco
16. Atlanta
17. Seattle
18. St. Louis
19. Nashville
20. Minneapolis
___
Source: AutoVantage's "In the Driver's Seat Road Rage Survey"

5 comments:

kel said...

i don't know if this is true or not, but i've heard that any time you're in reverse you never have the right of way. however, i do agree with you about the quarter panel rule, as a matter of common courtesy. another thing i've heard that i don't know if it's true, is that you can't get a ticket in a parking lot. something about it being a private lot. i've heard that those mini stop signs in parking lots aren't enforceable/punishable by police. however, i know from experience that you never have the right of way when you're leaving a parking lot and going onto a street: "failure to yield from a private lot."

Wade said...

The 'never having right of way while in reverse' makes since to me and explains why I usually get the finger when I'm backing up.

Unfortunately, you and I could start a 'failure to yield from a private lot' support group - I'm also familiar with that little known rule.

Thanks for stopping by, Kelly. Come back soon - I'm working on a posting about Jeremy & Eric that you would appreciate!

kel said...

i like your idea for a support group. i think it would attract more people than most book clubs. also, i do appreciate (already) your post about jeremy and eric, even in its planning stages. i only took a pic on my camera phone that night. but since you guys were taking pictures i knew i'd get to see some eventually. i'm glad you came, it was really fun.

Anonymous said...

is communication through bloggin a common practice in your marriage?!

Wade said...

Dear Anonymous,

Allow me to provide you some clarification. "Kelly" is my wife. "Kel" is a friend of mine. Both "Kel" and "Kelly" are always welcome to leave comments on my blog - especially "Kelly"!

Which leads me to ask, is pointing out nuances in other people's marriage common practice in your anonymous blogging?