Sunday, May 07, 2006

Sam's Club MS150 - Day Two! (Updated)


And just like that, Day Two is over!!

The day started off great with a spin around Texas Motor Speedway. While I was waiting for the start, I noticed former Dallas Cowboy Herschel Walker pull up on his bike so I ran over and got a picture made with him on my camera phone (See below - Sorry for the poor quality). Knowing that I had finished around 2:00 PM yesterday, I asked Herschel what time he finished – he said around 11:45 AM!!!! I guess if I'm going to be competitive against guys like Herschel Walker then I'll have to start taking steriods!

Below is a picture of me and Claude (see Day One comments) just before the start. At this point we were on Pit Row - you can see the stands behind us (Again, sorry for the poor quality).


Once we got started, we made our loop around the track - I was amazed at the incline of the track on the turns. Kelly waited for me that the end of the exit tunnel coming out of the speedway and since she was standing in front of the News 5 camera she got to be on TV!! How is it I am the one who pedaled 150 miles yet she gets to be on TV?

Here are today’s numbers:

Distance: 85 miles
Time: 5:02:00 actually riding (6:45:00 including 8 rest stops)
Average Speed: 16.9 mph
Top Speed: 35.7 mph (thanks to the hills in Boyd)

Total Distance: 163.5 miles (I thought it was supposed to be only 150 miles!)
Total Time: 9:48:00 actually riding (13:15:00 including 16 rest stops)

Below is a picture of a guy who had a basket on his handle bars where his little Schnauzer sat! You can see the dog just above the his rider number. I asked him if he was afraid if his dog would ever jump out while he was going down the street, "He does it all the time! He just hangs there from his leash until I reach down, grab him and throw him back in his basket!" This guy better hope PETA nevers hears about this! (Thank goodness my phone is better at taking calls than it is taking pictures!)


When you’re riding in these races you hear riders say things like, “Hey man, nice bike!” or “Hey, cool jersey.” But do you know what people said to me? “Hey man, cool number.” My rider number was 2222. I wasn’t quite sure how to respond, “Thanks . . . I guess.”

My favorite thing to do during the ride: Pass guys who shaved their legs!

Here I am looking good at the finish line! That's my dad behind me thinking, "Hmmm, I bet I can do this!" Actually, I'm sure he could!


Let me take a moment to thank so many of you who supported me in this ride. As of today, you have helped me raise over $500 - which is well past my goal of $325. Our combined efforts have helped a great cause – fighting multiple sclerosis.

There was one point in the ride where I wanted to pull over and take a picture of a lady standing on the side of the road cheering us on. She was holding a sign that said, “150 miles closer to a cure” and it reminded me that this weekend wasn’t about burning thighs, top speeds or even personal achievement – it was about providing relief to the victims of multiple sclerosis.

Thank you all for your continued support and encouragement! I couldn't have done it without you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wade, I'm proud of you and I hope your jock itch heals soon. Bring on Hotter n' Hell!

The above was from Brad. We are really proud of you for finishing your first big race! Wish we could be there to root you on. What a cool accomplishment. Hope you get rested up! Love, Shannon and Brad

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Wade! Sorry I missed it, but I'm very impressed that you did so well! Now your family can boast a Marathoner and Long Distance Bike Rider...what's next?

Love Steph