Monday, June 19, 2006

What's in a name?

The best thing about finding out the sex of our baby will be that Kelly and I will be able to refer to our unborn child by something other than "it" - "What should we name it?" "What will it look like?" "Which sport will it excel at?" (Notice that I don't have a gender bias when it comes to sports!). I've tried calling it 'Baby Strzinek' but for some reason that doesn't have much ring to it . . .

So how do you go about naming your child? It's not like naming your dog (Macy got her namesake from a local news broadcaster) or naming your goldfish (I miss Frick and Frack!). This is your offspring! You can't go about this lightly! Once you've signed the paperwork you can't change your mind. What if you choose Mary but then you realize she looks more like a Sally? What if you go with William but then wished you hadn't when all of his friends start calling him Billy - no offense to any Billy's out there.

Furthermore, I have to take into account the magnatude of passing on the surname of Strzinek. Now, I'm extremely proud to be a Strzinek - we are rare and unique. Everybody knows a Jones, a Johnson or even a Smith - but only a fortunate few have come to know and love a Strzinek! That being said, this child will be forced to endure a lifetime of having it's last name misspelled and mispronounced. It will be constantly asked, "Is it Polish or is it Russian?" Neither! It's Czechoslovakian! And because of that, not every name in the book flows with Strzinek.

So I ask: How will we know when we've finally found the name? Is it an A-ha! moment? Will it somehow rhyme with Strzinek? (Sorry, Dominick is out!) I seem to remember a few parents-to-be in the Bible being told by God Himself what to name thier child. Although I'm quite sure my child will be the perfect little angel, I'm not expecting any hints from angelic apparitions anytime soon! Help me out if you can!

In the meantime, here's the 2005 Top Names List (none of which appear to be making our first cut):

(Boy/Girl)
  1. Aidan/Madison
  2. Caden/Ava
  3. Caleb/Abigail
  4. Ethan/Emma
  5. Brayden/Cadence
  6. Hayden/Riley
  7. Dylan/Chloe
  8. Jaden/Bailey
  9. Logan/Isabella
  10. Noah/Olivia

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a small, slight crush on you in high school. You didn’t know me, or at least, you did not know me well. In fact you were so involved with being most spirited, church events, and dating some freshman from another school (what was that about?!) that you never really noticed me.

Life is funny. I graduated from high school, college, and inevitably from my innocent crush. I’m now married, working, and raising a little girl. Yet, for no rational reason, I often wonder how similar and vastly different my life must be from those who I once knew, knew for only a moment.

Luck in your pursuit for a name.

Wade said...

Ahh the high school crush! We all had them whether we will admit it or not. It seems like I always had a crush on someone throughout high school - and, for me, it was always with someone WAY out of my league. Fortunately I finally acted on a crush I had in college and ended up with my dear wife!

High school is the time in my life where I have the most opportunities for "do-overs" - there was something I said or did that I would love to do over. Being self-absorbed in my own little world of ME would be the first thing I would change from high school. Looking back, I hope that I was worthy of being the subject of someone's crush!

I guess I now know what David meant when he said, "Lord, forgive the sins of my youth" - I guess high school was socially awkward for him as well!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

laura said...

feeling your pain on the last name issue. with a last name like Bull we had to get creative too. can't name a little girl Tara (terrible) or Hannah (Hannibal). So our search was one for the books, especially trying to find one that worked in English and Spanish. But I know that God will guide you to the perfect name for your little boy... just like he did for us. Happy hunting.
Gary, Laura (Wallace), & Nathan Bull