Monday, June 26, 2006

The world according to a 5-year old . . .

Today, I came upon a funny little 5-year old girl. I was at an office complex when I walked up just as she was finishing her discussion with a UPS driver by pointing out a window and saying, " . . . and that's why they call it a parking lot!" The UPS driver gave me a look that said, "I have no idea how to respond to that!"

Laughing, I smiled at the little girl. When she realized that she had my attention, she pointed to a man down the hall and said, "My dad is the one in the blue shirt!" He was the only person standing in the hall and his shirt was green! The man in the "blue shirt" gave me a look like he had been forced to sing back-up as the little girl gave her own rendition of the Alphabet Song 12 times already that morning.

Again - Laughing, I smiled at the little girl. At which point she said, " . . . and I'm the daughter!" She said it with a tone like she had recently realized that she had gotten the raw end of some deal - giggle!

I got in my car (which was parked in the so-called 'parking lot') - still laughing about my new little friend - and wondered: Why is this so funny? This little 5-year old girl was self-confident and self assured enough to start spontaneous conversations with grown adults! So, at what point to we, the grown adults, lose the ability to talk to perfect strangers as if they weren't perfect strangers?

I wonder if it was actually God's plan for us to be able to start relationships with the same unassuming mutual respect for one another . . . but we just botched it up.

Maybe this is a little too profound for just a little innocent, albeit funny, exchange with a little 5-year old . . . but you have to admit there's a sermon here for all of us!

No comments: