Sunday, May 20, 2007

Book Rant: Audacity of Hope


I have to first admit that I did not finish The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama.

I knew that I wouldn't get through it all when I didn't even bother taking it with me on a recent business trip despite a 3-hour flight.

I started Audacity thinking this would be a great way to educate myself on some of the front runners in next year's Presidential election. For once, I'm going to cast a vote not because of an "R", a "D" or even an "I" following the candidate's name - but because I've made a fully educated decision based upon the where he or she stands on important issues in our country . . . right?

Umph! Just beat me over the head with a brick, why don't ya?

Why can't politicians just say what they think? 100 pages into this thing and all I've seen so far is a great balancing act by a guy trying to walk down the middle without saying too much to offend one side or the other.

Meanwhile, he has packed each page with so much grandiose "Yea! America!" fluff that it makes you feel like you should be playing God Bless America in the background while you read.

Before I go any further, let me assure you that my critical tone isn't just because he's a Democrat. In fact, I find all politics to be equally mind-numbing regardless of party affiliation.

The problem I have with this book is that, so far, there's nothing here that gives me an idea of who Barack Obama is or what he stands for. For me, the audacity of hope lies in hoping that the next page will be better than the one I just finished.

If elected President (which I admit wouldn't be the end of the world), let's hope Mr. Obama accomplishes more in his first 100 days in the Oval Office than he has in the first 100 pages of this book!

I'm shelving this book for another one - can't go wrong with Lucado!

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Hey, Wade!

Of course I remember you! Thanks for dropping in and saying hello. I'm so excited about checking in on you, Kelly and Tate.

Hope your reading improves!
Robyn

Wade said...

Hey Robyn,

Glad we all bumped into each other!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Anonymous said...

Hey Wade,

I wanted to share a GREAT experience that's heading your direction, to Austin on October 20 & 21.

It's an inventors fair... and it was fantastic!

I know it's a ways away on your calendar, but if gadgets interest you it's a must do event!

You can check the website for more info at www.makerfaire.com

I only spent a couple hours there but with children with you, it could easily have been half the day.

There was a kid that looked fifteen years old explaining what his robot was doing, as it searched a maze of walls to extinguish a candle... without anyone controlling it. Amazing.

There was a craft and arts section that was popular. There were events & exhibitions every half hour. Carnival rides for the kids. And toys... remote controlled toys we'd dream of as a child in the 70s.

Lots of funky useless gadgetry to see. Makes you wonder how it will be refined to become consumer products years from now.

Neat stuff. Different from most any faire I've been to.

(the DIY Crafts were a biiig hit with the women, though I didn't pay much attention to the topic that had gotten them all gathered together)

Man, they switched their site up. They had a video up before that showed a carnival ride, with swings flying in circles, that was powered by bicycles.

And a table saw boxcar race similar to the old soapbox derby races.

Wow that's enough jabbering...
Butch

Wade said...

Hey Butch,

Thanks for the heads-up!

I have to hand it to those guys. It's one thing to come up with a good idea but it's something different to actually follow through until the idea has materialized.

Thanks for stopping by,

W