Sunday, May 27, 2007

Tap the Brakes!

There are a few things I hate to do:

1. Flying with the Evil Empire.

2. Going to the dentist.

3. Having to tell Kelly I got a speeding ticket.

4. My most recent addition to this list: Having to tell Kelly I got a speeding ticket for the second time in a month.

Umph!

Rather than talk about the specifics of the speeding infraction(s), I think you'll more enjoy hearing about how I broke the news to Kelly.

As it is with many things in a life-long relationship, timing is everything. I would describe the timing I used when telling her of the first citation as "poor".

We had just gotten in the car and were heading down to Waco for a family shindig when Kelly said, "Now don't get a speeding ticket!" I, thinking this was the opportune moment to tell her, said with a big smile on my face, "Oh, don't worry! I already got one today!"

I said it with a big smile because I thought that would somehow soften the blow. Kelly didn't speak to me again until we got to Waco 2 hours later . . . and that was only to tell me that I had just missed my turn!

Needless to say, I put far greater thought into how I would tell her of my second, groundless, unsubstantiated, unjustified and baseless moving violation written by a public servant who had no concept of "letter of the law" versus "spirit of the law" . . . ahem!, but I digress.

"Concerned" family members told me it would be best to tell Kelly during dinner at the In-Laws'. Looking back, I now wonder if they encouraged me to do so just for their own mealtime entertainment!

Good or bad, I took their advice and sat down at the dinner table trying to think of the exact wording to bring up the subject. A few kicks from underneath the table let me know that the audience felt I was stalling. Finally, I just blurted it out as fast as I could!

"I got another speeding ticket on my way to Brownwood on Thursday! Please don't hit me!"

I tried smiling again! Which, by the way, I'm starting to think that it doesn't matter if you're smiling or not when you tell your wife you got a speeding ticket.

I have to hand it to Kelly, she took the news well considering the situation. It's funny how this discussion always leads to a comparison of driving records and that how a clean driving record somehow means you're a safe driver - it could just mean that you've never gotten caught!

But I can honestly tell you that I've now learned my lesson: Never take advice from family.

Or was it: Don't tell your wife about your speeding tickets.

No wait, it's: Never get 2 speeding tickets in a month . . . especially when you're only on a single income.

Actually, I think the lesson is: Tap the brakes and don't get speeding tickets!

(And if you do get a speeding ticket, try not to smile when you tell your wife or else she'll think you're not taking it seriously!)

7 comments:

Shannon said...

I wish we would have had a video camera set up when you told Kelly! It was priceless.

And, yes, it was for our entertainment probably...but you know that Kelly would've reacted A LOT different had you told her at home alone. We just helped your case:)

It was fun hanging out with you guys...can't wait to see you again on Saturday...don't speed!!

laura said...

Kind of curious to know where the said speeding was received. There is one turn right as you are headed to Bwd... I think it's in a little town called Toler or something like that and the cops there apparently have absolutely nothing to do but sit and cause trouble for travelers. SO sorry to hear about the ticket. Hope there is not cause for you to find another way to Kelly about another one anytime soon.

Wade said...

Hey Shannon,

Glad your evening entertainment didn't leave you disappointed.

See you Saturday - and expect it to take us about 4 hours to get there since I'll be driving the whole way at 50 mph!
______________________________

Hey Laura,

Actually it was coming into Early. I was westbound on 377 heading to BW. The speed limit drops from 65 to 55 right next to the cemetary. I had my cruise set on 69 and the cop was sitting 100 ft past the 55 Speed Limit sign and he pulled me over for doing 69 in a 55!

Hello deferred judification!

But I know the area around Tolar that you're thinking about . . . that's a bad spot, too!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Unknown said...

Isn't the entire drive to Brownwood from the Metroplex a huge speed trap? I have never seen more cops in one drive than I have from DFW to Brownwood. I think it would be easy to get a ticket on 377. Although I myself have not gotten pulled over en route to Brownwood (yet), I have been a passenger in the car of someone who got pulled over (who shall remain nameless because you know his father) before. Luckily he didn't get a ticket.

Anonymous said...

I think it is spelled "Deferred Ajudification".

Not that I would have any specific knowledge on this topic, but IMO, Speeding Laws (except in School Zones!) in this Country are nothing more than a device to pad the local Government Coffers!!

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Wade,

I never drive down Industrial Blvd by aka Roller coaster road without thinking of the times after church we would drive to McCully's or my house and you would speed all the way there...because it was fun (still is) to take that road fast because it has the small humps in the road that make you say "wee" as we pass over them at the speed of sound!

How we never got killed remains a mystrey!

Susan

Wade said...

Hey Anon.,

Spell Check Ruling: "Deferred Judification" (No "A")

Thanks anyway!

As for padding the coffers . . . yeah maybe. But as long as I was technically speeding then I should technically pay.

For all I know the guy who gives me a speeding ticket today could be the same guy who saves my family from an intruder tomorrow - I may complain at first but ultimately he was just doing his job
________________________________

Hey Suz,

Shhhhh! Kelly doesn't know about that stuff!

But now that you mentioned it - heck yeah that was fun! I was probably a good reason of why teenagers shouldn't get a driver's license until they turn 18.

Thanks for stopping by,

W