Monday, May 14, 2007

QOTW: Not-So-Golden Silence

When I was a wee lad, there were several things I promised myself I would never do when I got older. There are already a few things I've done that I said I wouldn't:

(1) I will never work in construction - My dad got me a job at Montoya Remodeling when I was 17 after I threatened to spend my entire summer laying on the couch watching TV. A summer hanging sheet rock is great motivation to go to college.

(2) I will never work in fast food - A friend of mine convinced me that working at Chick-Fil-A would be fun because, "we never actually do anything." A week after I started a new manager was hired who made sure we all had plenty of work to do!

(3) I will never listen to AM radio - I remember being forced by my dad to listen to AM radio anytime we rode in his car. When you're a kid, AM radio is about as interesting as watching water drip.

If Dad did ever listened to anything else it was either The Beatles, The Dueling Banjos or Patsy Cline - only two of which could be considered an improvement over AM radio (see What's on My iPod).

But I guess I'm one to talk, nowadays - AM radio is about all I listen to. First it's 1310 The Ticket (sports radio), then either WBAP 820 or KRLD 1080 (both news and talk radio). If nothing is good on one of those 3 then I usually bypass FM radio and go straight to my iPod.

Not listening to FM radio means I usually don't watch music award shows since I don't have a clue who anybody is anymore.

As for now, I'm trying hard to keep the other promises I made to myself when I was younger:

(4) I will never say, "This will hurt me more than it will hurt you."

(5) Don't let Christmas lights get you all upset - If you ever tried hanging Christmas lights outside then you know what I mean.
_____________________________________________________

"Which do you listen to the most while driving?"

Total votes: 18

FM Radio: 9 votes, 50%

A CD: 4 votes, 22%

AM Radio: 3 votes, 16%

My iPod: 2 votes, 11%

A Cassette Tate: 0 votes

Nothing: 0 votes

Which ever movie is in the DVD player: 0 votes

PS: Congratulations to everyone for not choosing 'the DVD player' - it's good to know that there are at least some people who don't constantly placate their children by sitting them in front of a TV screen!

5 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

(1) I will never work in construction

Hey Wade, back in 1990 I did a construction job for a few weeks and in my first week I pulled a board forward with a crow bar, and the board hit me in the face and gave me a bloody nose. The medic ran onto the site to help me as some laughed and some gasped.

That is a nice new About Me photo.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Oh, I guess it was actually a crowbar.:)

Wade said...

Hey Russ,

Ouch! A crowbar to the face is never a good thing!

I thought that it would be safer working in fast food than it would be working in construction - that is until 'my friend' kept throwing ice in the deep fryer just as I would walk by! Double ouch!

Boiling hot vegetable oil jumping out on your arms is not a good thing either!

Glad you found more suitable work!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Unknown said...

Hi Wade--
Sorry it has been so long to visit your blog! I went on about a six-month hiatus while I was working this first year at Baylor!! Anyway, I think your list is hilarious. I wish #3 could be true for me: if Shane and I are riding in the car together AND the radio is on, he only wants it on AM (sports radio, talk radio, boring radio, blah, blah, blah)! If I want to turn it to FM, then he says he thinks we should use that time to talk!! The nerve!! :) Congrats on the cute baby. Hope you're doing well! Kara

Wade said...

Hey Dr.Kara,

Great hearing from you!

Congrats at finishing your first year at Baylor! I don't blame you for pushing blogs off your table for a while - these things do get a little consuming!

Tell Shane I said hello. I don't know what it is about FM radio - if it isn't classic rock or oldies then I'm usually not interested. The sad realization is that classic rock stations are now playing U2. U2 isn't classic rock!

Oh well!

Thanks for stopping by,

W