Sunday, May 06, 2007

2007 Sam's Club MS150 - Day Two

I had to wake up pretty early this morning (5:00 AM) in order to make the 6:45 start for Day Two.

I was so tired that when I began backing out of my garage I looked up and suddenly realized my bike was sitting up on its wall rack and not on the back of my car where it was supposed to be. I stopped and thought, "Wade, I think you're gonna need that."

The cool part about Day Two is that you get to do a lap on the track at Texas Motor Speedway. Below is a photo of my friend Claude and I just before the start. We're standing on Pit Row.



From TMS we rode 30 miles north to Decatur where we stopped for lunch. From Decatur, the route took us 40 miles due south to downtown Fort Worth. The only problem was that there was a 20 mph wind coming out of the south - umph!

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate wind. Until now, I think it was more of a "dislike for wind" or a "not really fond of wind". But after today it is definitely a "I hate wind" kind of thing.

Since 40 miles into a 20 mph wind will ruin any bike ride, I stole a trick from Nascar and drafted nearly the whole way to Fort Worth. If you're not familiar with drafting then think of it as me hiding from the wind by riding directly behind someone who is bigger than me - it takes the edge of the wind.

Despite the wind, the aches and the pains I rolled into downtown Fort Worth to the cheers of Kelly and my In-laws, Rick & Stephanie. Tate was there too but he got distracted by a tree just as I rode by. Otherwise I know I would have heard him above the roar of the crowd!

Since Kelly was only a couple months pregnant when I rode in the MS150 last year, there was something cool about having Tate at the finish line this year. And yes, he did give me a great big smile once he saw me after the finish! That made all the hard work worth it!

Today's numbers:

Distance: 76.5 miles
Time: 4:49
Top Speed: 35 mph!

Total distance: 155.2 miles
Total Time: 9:39

Thanks again for all those who have supported me. I have until June for fund-raising so feel free to donate (click here). Yeah, this is a great cycling event but it's an even better cause - fighting Multiple Sclerosis.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Congrats Wade! We are impressed with you and thought about you today. Way to go! Wish we could be there to watch you cross the finish line....maybe next year!

Wade said...

Thanks, Shannon!

Can't wait to see you guys this weekend!