Saturday, May 05, 2007

2007 Sam's Club MS150 - Day One





What a day for a bike ride across North Texas!

I was a little worried coming into the weekend because the weather forecast called for hot and windy - try mid-70's, slight winds and rain!

(Note to self: Write a post about how amazing it is that weathermen can keep a job despite being wrong 90% of the time!)

The day got a slow start when only 4 miles after the start I noticed my crank (the arm that the pedal is connected to) was literally about to fall off - you can file that one in the "Not Good Catergory".

When this sort of thing happens on the Tour de France, there's someone in a car that races up and fixes it with Nascar pit crew efficiency. I guess I'm no Lance Armstrong because I had to wait on the side of the road for about 20 minutes for a mechanic to finally show up.

Take your time buddy, it's not like I'm trying to get anywhere!

From then on it was smooth sailing . . . until it started raining! There are plenty of things about riding in the rain that take away from the enjoyment of cycling:

(1) At any moment your super thin tires can lose traction and give you an chance to make an impression of your face in the concrete.

(2) You get totally soaked! Waterlogged clothes = more weight to carry.

(3) (My favorite) You can't see jack with all the rain falling on your face!

Sorry I don't have any pictures. I forgot my camera - but with all the rain it would have gotten ruined anyway. I'll be sure to bring it along tomorrow.

Tomorrow should be fun: We start on the Texas Motor Speedway track. After that we'll ride up and down a gazillion hills between Decatur and downtown Fort Worth. And apparently doing so in the midst of severe thunderstorms - which is tomorrow's forecast.

Great! There probably be a tornado as well! But hey, if the tornado gives me a big tail-wind then it might not be that bad!

Oh! By the way, it's not too late to sponsor me! As you can see I'm just a few bucks short of my goal! Click here to read how to donate on-line!

Here are today's numbers:

Distance: 78.7 miles
Time: 4:50
Number of bananas eaten: 4.5

2 comments:

Keri said...

Way to go WADE!!! :)

Wade said...

Thanks, Keri!