Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Ultimate Time Waste

I heard AM Ticket Talk Sports talking about this episode of The Six Million Dollar Man where Lee Majors' character fights Bigfoot - which ironically has nothing to do with sports!

To me, this scene symbolizes everything TV has to offer: Absolutely nuttin'!

What a time waste!


1. Now you know why Lee Majors never won so much as a Cub Scout badge for his acting . . . let alone an Emmy.

2. The sound effect for Steve Austin's (Lee Majors) six million dollar skills is grossly over-used in this scene. They play it even when he's just walking! Walking is considered bionic? Heck, I can do that! So where's my $6M??

3. Back to Majors' acting: His acting is so bad that the expression on his face when he first sees Bigfoot looks more like he was just told that there was a 45-minute wait for a table at Carrabba's rather than the alternative expression you'd expect to see when coming across a stinkin' sasquatch!

4. The lines for this scene are just as awful. The guy who wrote the script for this episode should be ashamed of himself!

Seriously, think to yourself - What would you say if you came across Bigfoot in the forest? I doubt "Can you understand me?" would be the first words out of your mouth.

Screaming like a little girl and running like h-e-double-hockey-sticks would probably be more like it!

4. As for Bigfoot, the "effects" aren’t very "special" when you can see the zipper that goes up the back of the Bigfoot costume. And do we have any evidence that Bigfoot has steel blue eyes? I think we would all agree that, according to legend, Bigfoot’s eyes are black and filled with rage.

5. Finally, which is worse: Being involved in filming this theatrical piece of garbage that time can't wait to forget . . . or wasting 30 minutes that you'll never get back by watching it on YouTube and then posting a blog about it?

2 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hey Wade,

I have had a rough week on thekingpin68, I had to boot a couple guys off...at least for now. See comments on my latest and Lewis Free Will/Hell in archives.

I think the SMDM made a major mistake in slowing down the bionics, when in fact they should have been sped up. This was a major blunder which forever tarnishes the show.

However, thirty plus years later I still find it entertaining, and it was positively experimental, in a similar way to Knight Rider and Airwolf after it, which also had their realism problems.

Television is a cheapo way of doing productions often and these shows would be better served with major Hollywood movie remakes.

I personally like Majors as an actor. Not because he has academy award winning type depth, but I like his simple, manly, and honest approach, and his humour, similar to Eastwood, although Eastwood has been far more successful with movies being generally above television shows, obviously.

I hope your weekend is very good, Wade,

Russ:)

Jody said...

That's 5 min. 20 sec. I'll never get back. Thanks Wade!