Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Anyone read a good book lately? I haven't.

Umph! I'm on an agonizing streak of ho-hum books.

The covers looked good. The titles sounded great. Even the authors' photographs seemed to say, "Read my book! It won't be a waste of your time!" I was looking forward to having my mind expanded by new concepts and innovative ideas.

Yet, each time, I kept asking myself, "When is this book gonna be over!?!"

The books of suspect are His Excellency - George Washington, Mavericks at Work, Secrets of The Baby Whisperer.

They're good books badly written . . . in my humble, uneducated opinion, of course!

His Excellency has such great potential. But it's all fun and games until you put a history buff like myself to sleep before Chapter 2.

Mavericks at Work profiles successful companies that have effectively rewritten how to 'think outside the box.' The only problem is that the writers get so bogged down in the details that it takes all the fun out of reading about thinking outside the box!


The Baby Whisperer has some good comments about parenting but you have to fight through its 'chattiness' to get to the good stuff. Sorry if I offend some of you but I felt like I was reading a transcript of last week's church play group. All very interesting - but get to the point!

Plus, being called 'luv' in an English accent is cute when in person, but it comes across as a literary speed bump when used in print.

Sorry, luv!

The problem with reading a ho-hum book is that you might as well finish it since you've already started it. It's like paying to watch a bad movie at the theatre. In order to get your money's worth, you feel like you have to stay until the bitter end.

Meanwhile, you keep checking your watch and thinking of all the things you could be doing at home . . . like reading a good book!

2 comments:

Drew said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope you and your family are doing well.

And I loved the Super Bowl commercials. I thought they were funnier than they have been in the last couple of years. My favorites were the guys taking their shirts off for the truck, the face slapping & the Charles Barkley one.

Hope to run into you sometime down the road.

- Drew

Wade said...

Hey Drew,

I dunno, the commercials didn't do anything for me.

There were a couple of 'giggle' moments but nothing that made me want to hit Rewind on my PVR.

Glad you liked them!

Thanks for stopping by,

W