Sunday, May 04, 2008

9 Years!

I’m sure some of you are wondering if I had forgotten an event a far more important than my own blogaversary . . .

NO!

I was just waiting to blog about our 9th wedding anniversary until after I had a chance to scan some pictures for your viewing enjoyment. But since that’s probably not going to happen any time soon, let me commemorate the occasion by instead using a picture of Kelly and I on Easter weekend 2006 – Kelly was pregnant with Tate at the time.



Kelly mentioned on her blog that we went out to celebrate our anniversary. For the evening's entertainment, she came up with the great idea of re-reading some old letters I had written her while we were dating at ACU 12 years ago.

5 words: Stinkin’ hilarious and unbelievably embarrassing!

So, for your reading enjoyment, I’ll share the letter that makes me cringe the least. I’ve copied the letter below word-for-word as I wrote it. The text in blue is my “Director’s Commentary”
_______________________________________________

“Hey You! (I had her at ‘Hey You!’)

How ya’ doing?

When I asked you last night if you would be in Chapel, I had forgotten that I had to go to a panel and answer a bunch of questions about University Seminar. (Apparently my habit of forgetting important things has been a life-long affliction!) But I was bummed about not being able to see you @ Chapel.

Speaking of Chapel, guess who rocks my world! (Hmm . . . I would have assumed it would have been Kelly.) Rita in Chapel Services! (A then-40-something-year old woman who worked in Administration)

I went in today to check up on my Chapel absentences.

(Absentences?? Holy cow! How in the world did I graduate from high school let alone college with that kind of spelling? Absences!)

Kelly, I had 10! (We were only allowed 15 absences from Chapel per semester) Man! I’m glad I went in because Rita changed it to 6!

(I wrote this note during the phase of dating when you’re trying really hard to impress the other person – so why am I telling Kelly about my apparent problem with attending Chapel?)

Go! Rita! Go! (Yeah, that’s probably where I lost Kelly!)


Anyways, o yeah! (Awkward transition statement!) I was in the Bookstore this morning and I saw these new Starburst Twizzler thingies! (I still say ‘thingies’ but probably won’t anymore after reading this letter) I know that you love those Starburst Jelly Beans (Me, too!) So I bought these for ya’!

(And that’s how I reeled Kelly back in – buying her the good stuff!)

Try ‘em and tell me what you think!

(There’s a big arrow I drew at the bottom of the page directing Kelly to turn it over as if she didn’t already know there was still more to this never-ending, meandering piece of Shakespearean love poetry!)

Well I hope you have a great day! (‘great’ is underlined for emphasis!) I’ll be home most of the afternoon and all the evening (because I had no life outside Kelly) so give me a call . . . PLEASE!! (Easy! You’re starting to sound desperate!)

Actually, I’d like to see you if I can. (OK, now you’re freaking her out!) If you got some time today (because I sure do!), swing by or give me a call and I’ll come over!

(Will someone please hit me the next time I sound this pathetic?!?!?)

OBKB? (Yet another phrase I say that comes across way better in person than on paper)

All right, keep smiling! (Another awkward transition statement and confusing half sentence.)

Enjoy your Starburst Twizzler thingies!

-W

(Finally, it's over!)
_______________________________________________

I know what you're thinking, “What was Kelly thinking?”

Regardless of what she thought, I’m glad she thought enough to say “Yes!”

Love you, Babe! I’m looking forward to our next 9 years!

6 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Happy anniversary.

You are entertaining, Wade.:)

Shannon said...

That note brings back lots of memories from when Brad and I dated. I'm going to have to go and find ours now. But, I don't think I'm brave enough to post it on my blog!!

Keri said...

What a sweet post Wade. You perfectly captured the awkwardness of trying to impress our partners. But you are so right...Praise God for people saying YES!

Riss said...

Your letter, aside from being hysterical, reminds me of the crazy things we do. For example, Eric being the people person that he is (and I mean that completely seriously) asked me out for the first time on IM. Who does that?? Oh well, it just goes to show that love takes in the whole person and not just the dumb things we do at the beginning.

Congratulations on 9 years!

Deana Nall said...

Chad wrote a letter to me when we were dating that said "I could ask for a better girlfriend." He was trying to write "I couldn't ask for a better girlfriend." That's what he says, anyway.

I loved Rita, too. Before Abilene, she loved in my hometown and her daughter was my best jr. high friend. Rita's husband Dan was my dentist. Rita's really cool, and I don't blame you for raving about her. Hey, Kelly married you anyway, right?

Audra Laney said...

That note is priceless. Andrew and I have so many of these type of letters which ramble on & on with crazy little phrases that seemed so cool at the time. :)

Happy anniversary!