Sunday, May 25, 2008

Beatle LP Collection #2

Here's a Beatle album cover pop quiz: Which of the two albums below is titled Let It Be? The first album titled Introducing . . . The Beatles or second album titled Let It Be?




I'll give you a moment to decide . . . need a little help? . . . here's a hint, the correct album has the words Let It Be printed in white across the top . . .

That's right! It's the second album!! Very good!! Pretty easy, huh?

So you can probably imagine my surprise when the one person who got it wrong was the same person who sold me the album on eBay!

After winning the Let It Be album, I had to wait and wait for it to arrive all while the seller was giving me some line about not being able to get to the post office because her car was in the shop - now that's a likely story, isn't it?!

My suspicions were starting to rise . . .

When the package finally did arrive, I was more than put out when I pulled out not the Let It Be album that I had won, but an Introducing . . . The Beatles album instead!!

Hey, what gives???

(I actually wrote 'What gives?' in my email to the seller!)

The lady was pretty quick to respond to my polite yet stern email. Her exact words were, "I guess you can tell I don't know anything about music or albums. They all look alike to me."

They all look alike????? I don't fault her for being musically disinclined, but she can read, can't she? One album says Let It Be and the other says Introducing . . . The Beatles. How hard can it be?

Shesh!

To her credit, she let me keep the Introducing . . . album she sent by mistake. I later found out why - it's a counterfeit album that Vee-Jay records released in the fall of 1964. It was in the stores for only a few months.

One thing that made it such a rip-off was the fact that even though the record advertised stereophonic sound (the equivalent of HD surround sound of the 60's), it was produced in monophonic sound instead (the equivalent of something less than HD surround sound of the 60's).

Bad, Vee-Jay, bad!


Oh, well! Her loss - my gain! Now I have two additions to my Beatles LP collection!

1 comment:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

She confuses clean-cut 1962-63 Beatles with the 1969 hippy version.;(

Nice collection, Wade. It is cool how one can collect US versions such as Introducing . . . The Beatles, and the British versions as well.