Saturday, May 10, 2008

Parental Helplessness

I have never felt so useless, helpless, disconnected, or out of the loop as I did on Wednesday when Kelly told me she was taking Tate to the ER.

1,300 miles of separation will do that to you. While Kelly was filling out HIPPA forms in a Fort Worth waiting room, I was in pacing back and forth in a Philadephia conference room.

All I could think was that I shouldn't have left Kelly alone with Tate while he still had a stomach virus. Not that I could have done anything to keep Tate from being admitted - but at least I could have felt useless while holding Tate in Fort Worth instead of feeling useless while impatiently waiting for Kelly's next text message in Philadelphia.

I hated not being there. I hated not knowing. I hated that I couldn't hold Tate in my arms. I hated that I couldn't tell him that he was going to be OK.

I hated every minute of it.

And once Kelly told me that Tate was being admitted I had had enough! The next flight out of Dodge was at 6 AM the next morning - which was not soon enough!

But knowing that I would be home in a mere 12 hours suddenly made me feel a little better.

I finally got to the hospital around 9 AM and soon had Tate sitting in my lap.

There was nothing more that could have been done by me being there in person. So I did the one thing I could do - I whispered in his ear that God loved him and so did I.

Sometimes that's all we need to say and hear.


It certainly seemed to help the both of us.

11 comments:

preacherman said...

Wade,
I will pray for you ramily especially Tate. I hoope he is feeling better. I hate it when children get sick like that brother.
I love reading your blog.
It is wonderful and look forward to visiting it as much as I can.
I pray that God's riches blessing fall on you and family.

In Him,
Kinney Mabry
Aka,
Preacherman

Riss said...

I love that picture of you guys! I'm very glad Tate is feeling better, and that you were able to get there so soon. I can't imagine going through that.

Hermes said...

He sure looks like he's sleeping alright now. I know how you felt. Hope all is well by now. Get well soon, little guy.

Wendy said...

Such a sweet picture of you guys!

Pearson Family said...

What a special picture! Glad you guys are home!

Robyn said...

What a priceless and precious picture. Glad he's on the mend!

Linda said...

I'm so happy you are home with your family. I can only imagine your feelings. :o( Many prayers for continued healing and rest for you all...

~Linda

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

I finally got to the hospital around 9 AM and soon had Tate sitting in my lap.

Good news.:)

Casdok said...

Brought a tear to my eye.
Beautiful photo. Hope he is out of there soon.

Wade said...

Thanks all!

Audra Laney said...

What a sweet daddy you are...and such a sweet picture!