Monday, January 05, 2009

It's Time for a Change

This post is literally over 4 years in the making so bear with me - I have a lot to say today.

There’s a long and winding road of events that have lead me here.  I’ll spare you the gory details and go instead with the short and sweet version: Earlier this morning, I resigned from my job as a pharmaceutical sales rep.  Next week, I will officially take over as President of my dad’s clinical research company.

Instead of selling drugs, I will now be involved in the research and development of drugs!

(That thump you just heard was my 4th Grade Science teacher falling out of her chair! Let’s just say my science project didn’t quite leave the impression that I would one day be running a full scale clinical research organization!)

This company was created on paper about 10 years ago when my dad began conducting clinical trials in order to bring in a little extra revenue for his family medicine practice.  Now it has successfully grown well beyond what any one person can manage. 

During that time, I was enjoying my job as a “legal” drug dealer, but I had always dreamt of stepping out and doing something on my own.  This opportunity will provide that for me while giving my Dad the time to focus just on medicine and research, while I will focus on . . . well . . . everything else!

(Thump, thump, thump! . . . Uh oh!  There went all of my College of Business professors at ACU!)

Kelly and I are excited about this opportunity and thankful for God’s continued provision.  It’s both exciting and terrifying at the same time – mostly because we have absolutely no idea where it will lead.  But we do know that we have both prayed for this for a very long time – so to me, it is no accident that we have suddenly found ourselves along this path.

2009 will be an interesting year for us, to say the least!  One thing is for sure, taking over the family business will give plenty to rant about!

10 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to hear more, God has great plans for you guys!

Was your 4th grade science teacher Mrs Hamiltion?I was trying to think who it could be when you were there and that is the only one I came up with. Let's just say you aren't the only to not turn in a great project, I didn't either. :)

Linda said...

Good luck Wade! I have faith that you will succeed no matter what you do! :o)

Natalie said...

Wishing you strength and patience!

tara said...

Yea for family businesses! Best of luck.

Audra Laney said...

Wow! That's great news, Wade! Congratulations to you and Kelly both. I know the Lord is going to bless your endeavors and your family!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Wade,and Kelly, cause I know you are probably going to have a big part in this move up too!!!!

All the best for 2009 and beyond.

Aunt Barb

PS When your BIGGER and have more business than you can handle, will you hire me if I move to Texas??? ha, ha. I may end up as one of your specimens before that!

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting for you and your family. I thought something was up when you were collecting the LP's for your new office. Good luck finding the last ones for your collection. I am looking forward to hearing more about your new job on future blogs. I know it will give you so much more fodder to amuse us as we read your posts!
-mcsneeze

Sarah B said...

Congrats on your step of faith! Be prepared for some major growth - and the joy of knowing God is with you each step of the journey.

Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

Wade, proud of you and welcome to entrepreneurship and the world of not getting a paycheck unless you make the money!! HA Seriously, I wish you the best with the new venture and if you ever need to "rant" to someone whose name is not on the top of the invoice or the paycheck stub, let me know.

The Marketing Twins at 1429 Creative wish you great success in 2009!!

Contact Me for an appointment said...

Wade- what a blessing! Less traveling and more time at home among everything else. With God you can do anything. Continue to listen to His guidance and He will never forsake you! This new adventure is going to be fabulous. I lvoe the title....PRESIDENT...now don't let it go to your head! :) Take care love Landon and Stephanie