Wednesday, July 26, 2006

God given friends

Even though I’m only 30 years old, I can already look back and see how God used people to serve a specific purpose in my life. When I think about my high schools years, I can see how God used guys like Jeremy and Eric to draw me closer to Him.

I would love to tell you all the funny stories that I share with Jeremy and Eric. I’m sure you’d laugh out loud if I told you about “zackleys”; LMC; the time when Jeremy and I toilet paper’ed Joy Rose’s house and her mom called us at 7:30 the very next morning telling us to "come over and clean up the mess we made"; the roman candle that exploded in Jeremy’s hand; how funny we thought it was when Eric would say, “Hey Wade” and I’d say, “Yeah?” and he’d say, “Sucks!” (I still don’t get that one); el vatos; personalized toilet paper or even Pizza Talk.

I could tell you all those stories and you’d think that we were a bunch of crazy high school kids who thought we were much funnier than we actually were. And although those stories are precious to me what is more important to share is that I credit both Jeremy and Eric with being the friends who taught me how to be a teenaged Christian. At a time in my life when I wasn’t too interested in church or even having a serious relationship with God, Jeremy and Eric entered my life and challenged my faith – I thank God they did.

I had a chance a couple of years ago to thank Eric while we took in a Ranger game together. And only recently, I was able to thank Jeremy after not seeing him for over 10 years. I’m so grateful to have had the chance to tell them how much they still mean to me even though we’ve all gone our separate ways.

The 3 of us got together not too long ago – it was the first time we were all under the same roof since high school. We laughed at old photos, reminisced about old stories and caught up on each other’s lives. Eric is a Special Ed teacher in Irving and Jeremy has been doing missionary work in Thailand. During the evening I caught myself being grateful that I was in that room that night - because if it weren’t for these two guys, who knows where I would be right now.

Thanks again, guys!


This is picture of us after our sophomore year in 1992 (Jeremy is in between Eric and I). I have no idea what we are doing – here again, we thought we were much funnier than we actually were. As far as my outfit is concerned laugh if you must – but just know that those shorts that I am wearing were purchased from The Gap and I remember getting many compliments on them . . . (Wow! I’m getting old – that sounds like something my parents would say!)

3 comments:

kel said...

hey! i've been hoping your pictures from that night would show up on here :)

you guys WERE funny back then! and you still are. i remember about half of those stories you mentioned, and i could tell a few too.

what i want to know is, have you seen paul yet and told him that eric changed his vote?

Wade said...

Hey Kel,

Yeah, for some reason it was a little tricky getting the 1992 photo on blogger - I'm sure user-error had a little something to do with it!

I'm glad you reminded me about Paul - I won't see him until softball season starts again in late August. I just know he's going to be devastated!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

laura said...

Wade,
Been a really long time and not sure if you remember Laura Wallace or not, but man... that picture of the three of you brings back some really funny memories. I stumbled onto your blog through Julie Kiser's and have really enjoyed reading it. We are so excited for you and your wife and your soon to be bundle of joy. We are so enjoying our son Nathan. It's such an adventure. God bless you both.
Laura (Wallace) Bull