Thursday, July 06, 2006

Nice ride, buddy!

I can’t think of it at the moment but there’s a word for humanizing objects – giving objects feelings and a personality. Car enthusiasts do this a lot, “She purrs like a kitten.” “He likes to run on the open road.” I do this all the time!

My latest offense occurred yesterday when I shipped my bicycle to its new owner! Yep – I sold my bike! No, I’m not giving up cycling – this is a scheduled upgrade (I can’t wait to get my brand new Cannondale CAAD8 R700 next week!). But just as I was about to close the box and administer packaging tape, I actually peeked inside, glanced at my very first road bike and said to myself, “Nice ride, buddy!” Don’t worry – no one heard me!

I feel like I should apologize for being so sappy but I can’t help it. Every time I walked through the garage it called out to me, “When are we going to hit the road again?” On days when I just didn’t have it I could hear my bike encouraging me, “Let’s go! Dig deep!” When I would head out for just a short 20-mile ride it would say, “C’mon! Let’s do some crazy miles today!” Most times I could hardly resist.

Here’s me and my bike in our greatest moment together – finishing the MS150.

So please excuse me for being a little sentimental. I just want to take a moment and say thanks to a good bike that taught me the love of a great sport!

4 comments:

kel said...

personification

Wade said...

Whoops! I've been using that word for something else!

Now I'm off to personify my new bike!

Thanks, Kel!

Anonymous said...

Stay out of Aledo!

Wade said...

Hmmmm . . . sounds like someone has some built-up animosity towards cyclists!

That's alright, I'm used to being the punching bag in this family!

Thanks for stoppy by anyway. Meanwhile . . . SHARE THE ROAD!!!!

W