Monday, July 21, 2008

Church Marquee of the Week #3



I'm not sure, but I think I'm a little offended by this marquee.



I understand it's point, our children are blessings from God and we should take care of them likewise.



But my thought is, when it comes to raising children, we have just a tad bit more responsibility as parents than if we were just babysitters - no offense to babysitters!



Ultimately, it really doesn't matter and by bringing it up I'm only perpetuating our society's tendency to cry "Foul!" just because we are offended by something we heard or read.  But I wonder if the parents of this church feel that their hard work has been minimized by this marquee.



And on some level, I actually hope God does view us as babysitters . . . because I charge $10 bucks an hour . . . per kid!

3 comments:

Hermes said...

And schools are just babyitters for parents. So teachers are, indirectly, agent of the divine? Seems fishy.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

But my thought is, when it comes to raising children, we have just a tad bit more responsibility as parents than if we were just babysitters - no offense to babysitters!

Even caretakers would be a better term. But, caretakers or babysitters does not do the concept of parenting justice. But the sign can make one think.

Russ:)

Anonymous said...

enough pc crappola (is that a word i can use and still feel justified?). parents are the example of God to a child. how else do they know what a "father" is? good for you for feeling snubed. is that good spelling?
phil