Saturday, July 05, 2008

To The Guy Who Sat Behind Us On The Flight Home From Lake Tahoe . . .

1.  Excuuuuuuse us for having a 18-month old who would have the audacity to cry while sitting in the row in front of you!



2.  Oh yes, we heard your grunts and grumblings and felt your kicks in the back of our seats nearly the same instant Tate started crying.  If you can't handle a baby crying for 2 minutes then you wouldn't last half an hour in our world, buddy!



3.  I know I'm not supposed to judge but . . . you're a neanderthalian jerk!



(There, I said it!  Now let's all stop for a moment so said-nimrod can go look up "neanderthalian.")



4.  I admit that Tate had a full-blown meltdown while we were still sitting at the gate but that was because we purposefully kept Tate awake over an hour past his naptime so that he would sleep during the flight.



5.  I hope you felt bad when Tate fell asleep in the time it took for the plane to taxi out to the runway.



6.  And I hope you felt even worse 3 hours later when the pilot told us that we were beginning our decent into D/FW . . . because that was about the same time Tate woke up from his nap! 



He slept through the entire flight!!!!



7.  So let me spell this out for you (you big baby!), my wife held a sleeping 22 + pound baby in her arms for 3 stinkin' straight hours so that you could have your precious quiet time doing whatever it was you were doing back there!



And since you can't recognize it when you see it, what we did is referred to as "good parenting" - a rather simple concept that is obviously far too complex for you to appreciate let alone understand!



8.  Let there be no doubt in your mind that my glare when I came back from the restroom was meant for you, pal!








Who couldn't love our sweet sleeping boy?



(The big, dumb animal sitting in 4B, that's who!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaawh, what a sweet photo. :-)

Actually I am never sorry for myself when I have a crying kid near me in the plane, but I am always sorry for the parents, since the options on a plane are usually so limited, if a kid should really be tired, worn out ... whatever.
In my point of view it is NOT ok that airlines have you keeping the kid on your lap all flight long (even 10 hours' flights). They should have some kind of 'family row' at each plane which at least allows a bit more space.

Wade said...

Good for you, Helen!

I'll reluctantly admit that I didn't have that perspective until after I had a child - though I never acted as childish as this guy. But it's a great reminder that there is so much out of the parents' control. If the kid is going to scream, he's going to scream! Luckily, Kelly was prepared and got him to calm down after only a minute or two.

As for your "family row" idea, have you ever thought about being the CEO of American Airlines?

:)

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Keri said...

According to this mommy that trip sounds like a huge success! Love the sweet sleeping Tate picture!

Anonymous said...

1. Excuuuuuuse us for having a 18-month old who would have the audacity to cry while sitting in the row in front of you!

The guy is perhaps an obnoxious driver too...just a guess.

Michelle said...

Wade, I just had to stop being a "lurker" and let you know how much I enjoy your blog. I am a friend of Keri's. Sorry about the jerk behind you. Guess there's one (at least) in every crowd!

Wade said...

Hey Michelle,

Glad you enjoy this section of cyber-space! And I hope Keri hasn't told you too many of the stories she knows about me - I'm actually scared about the dirt she has on me!

Thanks for coming out of shadows!

W

DeeAnne said...

Sounds like you guys did a great job. And what an adorable little sleeper.

Pooey on 4B

Linda said...

UGH! I can so relate...on our long trip back from Hawaii, we had a very very over tired boy. He wouldn't eat or sleep or even be held and of course we get stranded in Phoenix. It was 2am and I'd given up...I just sat there with him in the stroller screaming his head off and me crying just staring back at him. I know everyone was thinking what awful parents we were, but at that point, I had to consign to the fact that I'd NEVER see those people again. *SIGH*

Some people just don't get it. :o(

Big hugs!