Sunday, July 13, 2008

I'm No Grizzly Adams

One thing Kelly and I wanted to do while in Lake Tahoe was to take Tate on a real nature hike. Tall green trees. Snow-capped mountains. Beautiful blue lake. Furry little chipmunks.



And according reading this sign, man-eating animals as well!






In case you can't read the first line, it says: "The area you are entering contains habitat suitable for both black bears and mountain lions. Although rare, sightings may occur."



Oooookay . . . good to know!Did I ever tell ya'll about my completely irrational fear of being mauled by wild animal? Seriously, I can't even watch movies like The Edge because I can't handle scenes where people get served up to lions, tigers and bears!



(And you're a dork if you just said, 'Oh my!')



Further instruction from the posted sign said to "Carry a walking stick or pepper spray for protection."



Uh, how about I just shoot the lion and/or bear with a .44 Magnum or a .30-06 with a long range scope instead?



C'mon, pepper spray? Give me a break! By the time you actually figured out how to squirt some "liquid fire" into the a charging cougar's eyes he would have already eaten half of your arm off!



The sign also suggests that if you happened to be attacked by a moutain lion or black bear then "fight aggressively!"



Oh sure, why didn't I think about that! My first thought would have been instead to scream like a girl and run like h-e-double hockey sticks! But I can see how fighting aggressively might work also . . . especially when you've got your 18-month old strapped on your back and your wife of nearly 10 years right behind you!!



Needless to say, I was more than a little nervous while we were on the trail. Every where I looked, I saw landscape similar to the scene in [name any movie where someone gets whacked by a mountain lion.] Even Kelly noticed I was getting a bit tense.



Unfortunately what we had planned on being an hour-long hike through God's backyard ended up being only a 15-minute stoll barely 200 yards into the vast wilderness! I had to turn back. Seriously, that sign really freaked me out.



But we got a chance to take a few very quick pics before returning civilization. I know it looks like I'm smiling but I'm actually flashing my big, sharp teeth for any potentially stalking predator to see!







I guess I'll always be a city boy!

2 comments:

Keri said...

Seriously?? Are you kidding me? You mean to tell me that the guy that I knew way back when wasn't just going on the wimpy hikes that crossed the creek 25 times to chat with girls? He was actually AFRAID?? Wow! Kelly got more than she bargained for.

You know I had to tease you for that one Wade.

P.S. I guess I am a dork (Oh My!)

Hermes said...

Bear pepper spray actally works quite well. I carry it all the time. You should practice getting it out and getting the safety off, you are correct. But it doesn't work on cougars, wolves or wolverines. Be ready to kick that lion.