Thursday, December 28, 2006

Can't buy me love?

Not too long ago I bumped into a very casual acquaintance - let's call her Angie.

Angie was eager to show me an early Christmas present her husband had given her that same morning. A huge diamond ring. Very pretty. Very sparkly. Very $$.

Impressed, I complimented Angie on her new bling and asked if it was expected - since she got it on a weekday morning I thought surely this was an anniversary/Christmas gift or something like that.

Angie: "Well, if you must know . . . we haven't been getting along very well lately."

(Warning: Socially awkward conversation!)

Wade: "Oh! . . . uh . . . that's great! . . . I mean, about the ring and all . . . not about you and . . . "

(Failing! Abort! Mayday! Change the subject!)

Wade: "Uh . . . so . . . crazy weather, huh?"

(Just stop talking, Wade)

First, in Angie's defense, let me state that marriage is difficult (understatement of the year!) - so nobody here is judging any body's marriage.

That being said . . . I spent the rest of the day wondering if that ring actually made things better for Angie's home life. I mean, is it really that easy? Is all I have to do when I upset my wife is make a quick stop at Coach?

I realize one of Dr. Gary Smalley's love languages is Giving and Receiving Gifts - but does a diamond ring really make a difference in a marriage facing challenges?

I asked this very question to someone who knows quite a bit about this subject . . . and Kelly said that it depends. (Listen up, guys) She said that it does help when the spouse is feeling under appreciated. An appropriately thoughtful gift (which doesn't necessarily have to be $$) shows the them that they are valued.

However, if the gift is given just to make-up for a pattern of undesirable behavior then it may not produce the intended outcome. Sure, your wife may have a rock on her finger but you're still belching like a cow and scratching your rear-end in public!

I hope and pray that things improve with Angie and her husband. I just had to share my thoughts on a conversation that took me a few hours to move past.

By the way, Kelly's love language is Acts of Service. So when I'm in the dog house, I'll get more mileage out of hand-washing her car than giving her an overpriced hand bag.

Whew!

4 comments:

laura said...

wade you seriously crack us up! gary and i are sitting here at our laptops and i read your post out loud... and we're both cracking up! you're so right about marriage... takes a lot more than a pricy gift to make things work, but kelly's right too... in that a simple gesture, whatever the means... speaks volumes! God bless you guys and hope you had a great first Christmas with Tate!

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

I agree with Kelly-small tokens are best when you are in the dog house. Plus, I would rather see the behavior change than to be bought off. Somehow a diamond making it all better seems a little shallow-

Happy New Year!

Wade said...

Hey Laura,

Thanks. Sometimes marriage seems to be about finding that perfect balance between too much and just enough.

We had a great time with Tate this Christmas - next year should be a ton of fun!
_____________________________

Hey Suz,

I remember back in high school when I made my girlfriend mad. I gave her a bouquet of flowers and then was stunned when they didn't seem to make any difference.

"But I got you flowers!!"

Needless to say, it was a 'relationship learning experience' for me.

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Jill said...

Makes you wonder what in the world he did that he thought warranted buying a big rock! Eek!

It's the little things that do it for me. A "Hey honey sorry and how about you go see a movie while I watch the kids."

Ahhhh......