Tuesday, December 26, 2006

QOTW: Jolly Old St. Nick

Warning: If you still believe you were visited the other night by a red suit wearin', deer drivin', gift bearin' fat guy who did a shimmy down your chimney . . . then don't read this post.

My 9-year old nephew made a comment on Christmas Eve that pretty much sums up my belief in Santa Claus when I was growing up.

"I don't believe in Santa. But its fun to make believe because he's seems like he would be a really neat guy."

I have to agree, Trip!

I remember when I was 5 and figured out the whole thing was just a bit. I can't say that I was all that disappointed and/or upset. I just knew the idea of some guy spending all year making brand name toys and then flying all over the world in a sleigh pulled by, ahem, flying reindeer all in one night was a little far-fetched.

But, just like Trip, I had fun make-believing. One of my favorite things to do on Christmas Eve was watch Harold Taft (local weatherman) give Santa Watch updates using his weather radar during the 10 o'clock news.

Every year just as the news was ending, Harold would interrupt the send off with 'Breaking News' that Santa had been spotted on the radar. They would switch to the radar and you would see a really poor graphic of Santa in his sleigh dance around on the screen.

That was my cue to scream real loud and run off to bed so Santa wouldn't catch me awake. I can remember hiding underneath my covers and hearing my dad act like he was talking to Santa in our living room.

"Hey Santa! Glad you made it! Wade has been such a good boy this year! What did you bring for him? Wow! Wade's gonna love that! Did you bring the batteries for it?"

I can't wait to do the same thing to Tate!

___________________________________

QOTW: You're woken early Christmas morning by a man wearing a red suit placing presents under your tree, you:

Total votes: 14

Gather the kids around for a photo-op: 9 votes, 64%

Assume your dreaming and go back to bed: 2 votes, 14%

Hide your family in the closet and call the police: 2 votes, 14%

Grab your 12 gauge and get trigger-happy: 1 votes, 7%

PS: Since I have this crazy fear of somebody breaking into our house in the middle of the night, I'd be the one with the 12 gauge. So leave it me to be the one who kills Santa! Sorry, kids!

2 comments:

Keri said...

Hope you guys had a wonderful holiday. I'm sure with Tate being here it was extra special. I know you have heard it a ton (along with all the other things that you knew but people had to point out for you anyway) but next Christmas will be so fun for him. Just don't rush it and enjoy all the firsts in between! :)

Wade said...

Hey Keri,

You, too!

Tate's first Christmas was about as memorable as you would expect it to be with him sleeping all the way through it.

We did have fun - next year should be interesting!

Thanks for stopping by,

W