Friday, June 15, 2007

QOTW: Workaholics Anonymous

Here's last weeks' QOTW as promised . . .

My first job in sales was at Pitney Bowes Office Systems - I sold copiers.

Working for Pitney Bowes was great despite the minor detail that I wasn't very good at selling copiers. I typically fouled things up during the demo - which was when you brought in a copier that a potential customer was considering and demonstrated to them how incredibly easy it was to operate.

The problem was that I was terrible at operating copiers. If it could be jammed, stuck, over-loaded, overheated, off-lined, side-lined or even error-ed, I somehow was able to show my customers-to-be how easy it was to do.

Need 10 sets of collated, double-sided, hole-punched copies? You got me! However, I do know a good way of changing out the toner cartridge so that half of it ends up all over your brand new suit - that's easy!

My demo's were usually abruptly ended by a polite, "Uh . . . thanks. We'll give you a call."

(Thank goodness I'm much better at selling drugs!)

But the cubicle world of Pitney Bowes brought out the "best" in the office personalities. My boss was the coffee addict. He'd start a new pot of coffee at 4:00 in the afternoon just because he was thirsty. What always puzzled me about him was that, despite practically having a constant caffeine drip from an IV, he reminded me of Droopy. With as much coffee-intake as he had you'd expect someone with a little more edge - never understood that one!



His boss was the nicotine addict. It would be 103 degrees outside and he'd be standing in the parking lot in a wool suit puffing down a cigarette. I always hated seeing him smoking when I'd return to the office from a sales call because he would make me stand out there and tell him how things went.

Thirty feet away was a comfortable 75 degree climate-controlled environment and all he wanted to do was "burn one" out in the blazing sun while reminding me of the advantages and disadvantages of analog copiers versus digital copiers . . . as if I really cared!

I mention Pitney Bowes because this FedEx commercial reminds me of Pitney Bowes (The Office reminds me of Pitney Bowes, too - but that's another post!). When I found this clip on YouTube, it gave me the idea of last week's QOTW.

It's no surprise that most of you think you're the only normal one at work. The real question is what would your co-workers say about you?




______________________________________________________

"Which office employee are you?"

Total Votes: 16

"Blameless Bill" - 6% (1 vote)

The Attitude - 6% (1 vote)

The Whiner - 6% (1 vote)

The Coffee Maker Cop 0% (0 votes)

The Clock Watcher 18% (3 votes)

Thumb-Twidler Extraodinaire 6% (1 vote)

Mr. Over-promise/Under-deliver 6% (1 vote)

The one normal person in the whole place 50% (8 votes)

2 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Do the people in the video clip work for the Canadian government?

I did a summer census job with them last summer. I basically just did my job, and my manager told me I did 10 x the work that the average employee completed.

Wade said...

Hey Russ,

That's both sad and funny at the same time!

I think there's a certain personal pride that some people lack in the work place. I see it all the time in how many will do just enough to stay off the boss' radar but yet not work near thier own potential.

As Christians, however, I think we have a responsibility to work hard and have pride in our labor if we are to truly "do all things for the glory of The Lord."

I've always had, a good way, a feeling that God is watching me and expects me to do my best even if my boss isn't around - and I would say that has been the foundation for my own work ethic.

Hope you got a promotion out of it, Russ!

TFSB,

W