Friday, June 01, 2007

Say What?

I recently had lunch with a doctor's office where we talked about gross food that nobody likes to eat - which got me wondering if the topic came up because they didn't like the lunch I brought in.

(Black-Eyed Pea, by the way, happens to have great food - especially for take-out!)

One nurse said, "The one thing that always makes me gag is 'vy-anna' sausages."

[phonetic spelling mine]

I sat there for a moment trying to figure out what in the world 'vy-anna' sausages were - and then it dawned on me. She's talking about vienna sausages! But who in the world pronounces them 'vy-anna' sausages? It's not like this nurse had a Texan accent or a southern drawl.

Just as I was about to call her out on her misspeak, another nurse said, "Oh I know! I hate 'vy-anna's' too!"

OK, wait! Are they really pronounced 'vy-anna' and not vienna (like the city in Austria) sausages? Am I the one who's been mispronouncing them all these years?

Vy-anna or vienna - either way, they make me gag, too!

Yuck!

9 comments:

Keri said...

EEEEWWWW!!!! Both my kids got sick on them in one night so they are now banned from the home.

Unknown said...

I can't say that I have every actually eaten Vienna sausages, but the very concept of Vienna sausages seems gross to me. Most people have, but apparently my mom hated them too and never bought them for us growing up. By the way, I say Vienna, too. Did you buy this can just for the picture?

Jill said...

LOL! My mom (from Mississippi) calls them Vy-anna too. She eats them on crackers. Ew. Have to say my kids love it when she buys them for them. :)

Wade said...

Hey Keri,

Just looking at them make me sick! Good decision on your part to instate a ban!
______________________________

Hey Kate,

I got the picture off of Wikipedia - that website is such greatness!
_____________________________

Hey Jill,

There are a lot of things that go well with crackers. However I find it hard to believe that vienna sausages are one of them!

Don't let Callie eat any! Save her while you still can!

Welcome back, by the way! I enjoyed reading your adoption journal! Please post more!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of my first visit to the South (Memphis, TN) in '68. I went to the local Sears and asked the local Sears Employee where they had the Chamois (I pronounced "sham ee"). He looked puzzled and I said, "you know the thing to dry off your Car". The light bulb came on and he said, "oh you mean a Chamois?" (he pronounced "shay mus")? They are in the Auto Section. Real shock to me how we could live in this Country and how English, as I spoke it, was almost a foreign language in the South.

You've never heard a real Southern Accent until you've been to Tennessee....

rpe

Anonymous said...

Vienna sausage....or Spam?

Wade said...

Hey RPE,

Memphis in '68 is probably a whole story to itself - why have you been keeping that one from me?

Southerner's pride themselves on being incomprehensable! But since we're all now anti-French I call chamois 'freedom rags'!
____________________________

Hey Anon,

Spam is not that bad actually. I ate Spam while on Wilderness Trek (4 day hike through the Rookies). It's amazing what a little Mrs. Field's seasoning will do for 2 year-old canned meat on a stick over a campfire!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Anonymous said...

I don't know you but I found this blog in a search for Vienna Sausages because I was just ranting the SAME EXACT THING to a friend of mine today!!! I'm in NC and here they say "Vy-eena." Like it rhymes with "hyena"...drives me up a wall! I made the mistake of pointing out to someone that it was Vee-yenna, like the city in Europe, but they just looked at me like I'd lost my mind.

Wade said...

Hey Anon,

Glad you stopped by! I've heard the 'hyena' version several times since this post. And like you, I got 'the look' when I tried to correct them.

Oh well, a refined mind and palate such as ours is rarely fully appreciated! :)

Thanks for stopping by,

W