Thursday, January 17, 2008

Obsessive Compulsive Confession #4

I can't handle people reading something that I've written before it reaches a final draft.

This comes in play most often when Kelly walks into my office as I am working on a blog post or something for work. I can be typing just a simple email to my manager asking for time off and I'll still have to resist the urge to close my laptop before she sees it!

(A little high strung, are we?)

I think it has to do with Kelly being a copy editor ever since she learned her ABC's - I can't handle her finding something that needs correction or re-wording before I do.

The good thing is that my neuro-psychotic tendency tends goes away once I'm happy with a final draft (yeah, emails to my manager usually require drafts). But as soon as I'm finished Kelly is free to pull out her red pen and go to town on my latest literary effort . . . just not before then!

5 comments:

Hermes said...

I always told myself, "Your first draft should be your last". This policy has saved me countless hours of precious pub time during college and has required me to be highly creative when implementing planned educational programs. But over the shoulder checking during composition is... underhanded.

Phillips Family said...

Amen to revising and revising before hitting that "Publish" button (or even the send button). I feel the need to cover our gigantic computer screen everytime my husband walks by when I am working on something.

Wade said...

Hey Lawn,

The "first draft should be your last" policy would certainly save me a ton of time - unfortunately I don't have enough confidence in my spelling/grammar skillz to let it go without at least one look-over . . or three.

The OCD comes into play because Kelly's not even trying to proof read unless I ask her to. But just having someone stand next to my computer when I'm working on something wigs me out.
_______________________________

Hey L,

Kelly taught me a good trick of not putting an email address in the To: box until after you've written the email so that you don't inadvertently send it with a bunch of mistakes . . . or even an emotionally charged retort that probably should have first been watered down a bit!

I'm glad I'm not the only one suffers from this infliction!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

TREY MORGAN said...

Wade,

My problem is I can read and re-read my things 15 times and then my wife can still find tons of mistakes. I just can't see my own errors (sermon in there somewhere).

Julie said...

This comment really has to do with your last post, although I am totally with you! I have a read-over-your-should-editor that lives at my house too!

The Church Marquee really needs to be a regular blog post! I have seen so many "great" ones lately. I actually drive past that Harwood Terrace church a lot when I take my grandma to go to your dad's office (she's always got some old lady ailment goin on) and one time they had "we're too blessed to be depressed" on their sign. I mean, way to undermine a real sickness that tons of people suffer from! I love to make fun of church marquees so keep it comin!