Monday, January 28, 2008

Why I Blog . . .

For me, blogging is a lot of fun and yuks. But if there is one thing that has won me over to the dark side of the blogosphere it's that blogging creates a way to re-connect with old friends.

Case in point: I received an email early this morning basically saying:

"Wade, I got your email address from your blog and I'm curious to know if you are the same Wade I met in Varna, Bulgaria [15 years ago]. I am Konstantin - please write back if you remember me."

At this point I practically fell out of my chair - of course I remember Konstantin!

Long story short: Me and two friends from Richland Hills Church of Christ spent the summer of 1993 on a mission trip to Varna, Bulgaria to work with a church that RHCC was supporting. While I was there, I met Konstantin.

Konstantin was quite literally the voice of the church. Since none of us spoke Bulgarian (including the missionary), Konstantin was the guy who would stand up at the podium and translate as Peter gave his sermon. Konstantin also did a lot of ground work to help get the church established.

I'm sure the Bull's can talk all day long about having 'that guy' who knows the language, the culture and can help get things done. Konstantin was that guy!

Something that I'll always remember about Konstantin was that he taught me how to deal with the men on the street who kept asking me if I wanted to exchange my American Dollars into Bulgarian Leva - which you never wanted to do because (1) it was illegal and (2) you'll get ripped off!

As you can see, since I stuck out in the crowd as being an American these guys were constantly badgering me to 'change money? change money?'. So I got Konstantin to teach me how to say in Bulgarian, "What do you think I am - some stupid American?" I can still say it today - although Konstantin would probably say it sounds a little rough.

But from then on I couldn't wait for some guy come up and and try to change money. By the end of the summer I could rattle off my pseudo-Bulgarian so quickly that many of them would turn and walked away shocked. Although one guy did respond, "Da!" ("Yes!")


So in a show of gratitude for helping me develop a little Bulgarian street cred, I helped Konstantin develop a love for America's favorite past time - baseball! He would have been a .300 hitter, for sure!

By the way, no one could pull of the red t-shirt, black & white striped shorts with red socks look quite like Konstantin! Needless to say, he was a big hit with the ladies!

(Just playin' with ya', Konstantin!)


This is me in my flat eating what is still the most delicious ham sandwich I've ever tasted. Everything there was so fresh - the bread was baked that morning and the ham was smoked just the day before - top it off with a Coke and you've got yourself quite a meal!


These are some kids who came to our VBS. Brad should go to Varna to recruit for his team @ UMHB. These kids played full contact soccer on a concrete playground - and everyone of them was a striker!

Anyway, I'm so glad Konstantin emailed me. I've been rushed with memories of Varna all day - what a great time that was!

Like I said, I enjoy blogging and trying to come up with all my random posts - but the big pay off is when I bump into a great guy like Konstantin!
_____________________________________

PS: Please refrain from leaving comments saying "Wow, Wade! You were quite the bean pole in high school, weren't ya'?" Yes, I was a bean pole . . . and God loved me just as much then . . . and he definitely didn't snicker to Himself when he read my blog . . . and, yes!, God reads my blog! Ever heard of WWJB? What Would Jesus Blog? So stop laughing at my bean pole-ness!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry that that was my first comment when you showed me the pictures today. I relate as I was as skinny as you at 17, believe it or not.

How wonderful that you could hook up with someone you knew and that obviously made a big impression on you. The pictures are great. I still want to know what he googled to find you.

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

sorry I was going to say just that...

what a small world blog land is, what fun memories and running into him.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Blogging is good for reconnecting with old friends, making new ones, having some laughs and also doing some heavy, useful thinking.

Good for you, Wade.

Russ:)

Hermes said...

That's the scary thing! God doesn't read blogs! He doesn't need to! He knew what you were going to post before the dawn of time! He knows what I'm going to post next week! But still, I must have faith in my own free will! Ahhhh!
Sorry, too much philosophy in college.

"Seek not to understand so that you may believe, seek to believe so that you may understand".
-St. Augustine

Riss said...

Don't worry you're not the only bean pole in the world. We make so much fun of my dad because when he married my mom he was 145 lbs (and he's 6'3").

See-Dub said...

How awesome that Konstantin found you through your blog! I love how this "modern technology" helps us travel back in time!

pruittsplace said...

well... i thought i was the person you had recently re-connected with. but no. no blog about reconnecting with ricky pruitt. i used to live in a foreign country (international flavor). i still have a mullet (excentric characteristic). i did things to you no one else had ever done (and probably haven't since (intense personal contact).
but i guess i'll have to consede to konstantino.
thanks alot.

Wade said...

Hey Mimi,

I keep forgetting to ask him how he found my blog. I'll be sure to ask him and tell you what he says!
_______________________________

Hey Suz,

Uh-huh, you sure that's ALL you were going to say???
_______________________________

Well said, Russ!
_______________________________

Hey Lawn,

Yeah, you're right. It just sounds funny to say that God reads my blog as if he was just sitting around killing time reading blogs while waiting on Armageddon.

And there's a good chance I just offended half of the God-fearing population with that comment!

Ah well - they'll get over it!
________________________________

Hey Riss,

And no doubt your dad was (er . . is) quite the hansome fellow, right?
________________________________

Hey See-Dub,

Your comment makes me think of the 'I Love Techonology' love song from Napoleon Dynamite!
_________________________________

Hey Ricky,

Dude! Seriously - I was just about to post about you! I'm so not lying right now!

I'm waiting until I find that picture of that time when you made me go get you a RC Cola and then you told me that it stood for Ricky-Cindy Cola - what a laugh, right? As soon as I find it I'm gonna post about you!!!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W