Friday, March 07, 2008

National "Start A Random Collection" Day

You may remember when I celebrated National "Throw Out Your Random, Worthless Collection That Does Nothing But Clutter Your Office and Take Up Space" Day by tossing out my foreignly bottled Coke can collection because of nappy coke juice leaking out of the cans.

Ever since then I've been trying to figure out how I would replace the random collection void in my life. I was kinda hoping that Aunt B from NoCal would have by now given me her collection of vinyl Beatle records.

For some reason though, the phrase, "Don't hold your breath!" keeps coming to mind. So, I decided that I would build my own collection of Beatles LP's via Ebay - which requires far more effort and money than if you're favorite aunt-in-law would just give you her collection already!

I started with Something New (bottom left), which was stolen with permission from my dad's very short stack of LP's.


I then picked up Meet The Beatles (top left), Abbey Road (too right) and Magical Mystery Tour (bottom right) when I strolled past a LP shop near South Street in Philadelphia - which is a very cool pedestrian street if you're ever in that area, by the way.

My latest addition is the Help! album (top left) - which ranks as one of my favorites in the Beatle library.


Kelly noticed that it didn't seem right to have an empty spot next to the Help! album. Hmmmm, guess I'll have to buy something to put there!

Anyway, here's to random collections that nobody fully appreciates but yourself!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wade, so sorry to disappoint, but my albums don't look anything like the ones on your walls...They've had to endure too many hands pawing them and a few have been held together with scotch tape for years!!!!!!!!!!

PS, you should have poked a hole in the bottom of the coke cans, drained out the coke, and kept the cans. It was a great collection.

Aunt B

Hermes said...

I miss vinyl. This is a good collection. But time and money, like you say. I still have some Elvis Costello albums... not quite the same though.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Nice collection. I have most of the official Beatles albums on CD and some unofficial (s&t Sept 06 archives).

See-Dub said...

How cool is that! You need a dark cover in that corner now. Rubber Soul, perhaps?

We collect collections over here, so this has been our "Start a Random Collection" Decade!

Wade said...

Hey Aunt B,

What do you think I am, a viynl snob??? No worries!

As for poking a hole in the bottom of my cans . . . now you tell me!!!
_______________________________

Hey Lawn,

I obviously enjoy blasting my downloaded music in digital surround sound. But there's something nostalgic about placing vinyl on a turntable and then sitting back and gazing at the album cover while listening to the music - I think our generation was the last to experience that!

The other thing we've lost since vinyl was retired is the whole concept of B-sides. I could always remember the first song of an album's B Side - It was kinda of a quirky Jedi mind trick of mine - oh well, no more!
________________________________

Hey Russ,

Even CD's begin to seem old school once you've fully converted to mp3 players/iPods.
________________________________

Hey See_Dub,

You and I think just alike - I'm watching 2 or 3 different Rubber Soul albums on Ebay. I may let them pass though - not the greatest of quality.

You should tell us about your collections!

Thanks all for stopping by!

W

Deana Nall said...

I've studied the Abbey Road cover at length and all I was able to glean from it is the uncanny feeling that Paul is dead...