Wednesday, April 30, 2008

It Wasn't Broken, But I Fixed It Anyway!

As far as I was concerned, we were happy Dish Network customers.

I got my games in oh-so-beautiful High Definition. Kelly got her Oprah in Standard Definition (hee, hee!). We rarely lost our satellite reception - even during the torrid North Texas thunderstorms. And, for the most part, we were fine with the amount we were being charged.

So, there really wasn’t any reason to change providers.

At least there wasn’t until I received a brochure from AT&T U-Verse.



AT&T's fancy-schmancy brochure claimed they could offer me the same channels, HD, the ability to record 4 shows at the same time (that's when I started salivating!), pause and record live TV, Internet speeds 4 times faster than my current service, no contracts, and no activation fees . . . all for $25 less per month than what I was currently paying.

It doesn't sound like much when you think of it as saving just $25 a month but my fuzzy math brings that up to $300 in savings per year.

But it adds up to a lot if you can save a little here and there, right?

So I pulled the trigger and ordered AT&T's U-Verse!

The only problem is I can't help but keep thinking of the phrase, “If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it!”

Man, I hope I don't regret this!

7 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

It sounds like a good deal, but time will tell if the support and service is as good as the previous provider.

All the best with it.:)

Kent said...

Wade-

I, too, am happy with my current service, DirecTV. But recently a U-Verse salesman cornered me while I was working in my garage and he really sold me hard. U-Verse has some really sexy features that really excite me. I will probably switch when they start offering DVR in more than one room. Right now Jill and I have TiVo in our living room and bedroom and it is greatness. U-Verse can't offer me that yet. When they do I will probably switch over because it will save a little and the internet connection sounds better. Let me know how you like it. I will wait with baited breath.

Kent Benfer

Linda said...

Don't tell Jon! We have FiOS and love it so far. But 4 shows at once....hmmmmm... LOL!

We too have missed you guys a lot...I found your blogs through the Bunts and have enjoyed them thouroughly!

Seriously, thank goodness for the internet! ;o)

~Linda

Anonymous said...

:-D

I can't wait to read how this comes out.

And it really really sucks being in Germany - this is not near my reach, even if I paid a crazy amount of money for it...

TREY MORGAN said...

YES! I've been waiting for some sucker to try this and see if it works. Will you keep us updated?

PS - Sorry for the sucker comment. You're braver than I am

Wade said...

Hey Russ,

If I get the opportunity to rate the support desk then things have gone dreadfully wrong!
________________________________

Hey Kent,

I can see how the the DVR in more than one room can be a big deal-breaker. Kelly and I get by because we only have one TV - there's one upstairs hooked up to U-Verse in our play room but we never use it so I don't care if it doesn't have a DVR attached.

So far I've got a good picture and blazing fast internet . . . we'll see though.
______________________________

Hey Linda,

FiOS is a big player around here as well. I probably wouldn't have switched to U-Verse had we not already had our cell phones, home phone and internet with AT&T - maybe FiOS is the way to go if you have Verizon.
_________________________________

Hey Helen,

I can always take pictures of my TV and post them if that would make you feel better?!?!
_________________________________

Hey Trey,

Somebody has to be the guinea pig - might as well be me!

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W

Kent said...

Wade-

I am actually not going to wait for your initial review. I am going to take the plunge. U-Verse just has some features that I need right now. Plus, they are promising that by the end of the year they will have DVR available to every room you have U-Verse in, not just one like they do now.

Kent