Thursday, April 03, 2008

Play Nice or Go Home!

I'm sorry . . . but it had to be done!

I thought we were all doing a good job peacefully co-existing. I thought we were able to respect each other's personal space within cyber-space. I thought there was a certain level of mutual understanding that dictated that this is my blog and that is your blog.

What I do and say on my blog is my business and what you do and say on your blog is your business . . . so long as you don't try to conduct your business on my blog!

Thanks to on-line Brazilian computer stores, personal typing assistants who I have apparently met at the airport and those selling services on a website I dare not visit, I have reluctantly decided to add Word Verification to my Comments window!




I know, I know - Word Verification is a beating! It's a bothersome extra step you have to take when all you want to say is a quick 'hello'.

Half of the time it doesn't work because you can't figure out if one of the letters is a p or a q! That's an n - no, it's an m. How can that be a v? It looks like an u!

Beating!

But it's even more infuriating when I find spam comments on my blog!

GRRRRR!

One of these days I'm gonna bump into one of those comment spammers! And when I do, I'm gonna grab him (or her, but more than likely him) by the collar and . . . ! Well, let's just say that I will take a moment to communicate my disappointment in how he has chosen to earn a living!

And by reading some of your blogs, I know you feel the same way!

(I'm feelin' ya' PHylemon!)

Watch out, Comment Spammers! You've just been put on notice!

7 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

I hate word verification too but I had to add it to my blog after I recieved a very obscene comment and not to mention a ton of spam mail that all related to triple-x stuff. so sad, the world we live in! But it has to be done in order to protect ourselves from the crazy blog people

Anonymous said...

Amen, brother! :-)

And thanks for mentioning that I am not the only one that is sometimes too stupid to read and type that word verification.

I was starting to feel dyslexic.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

personal typing assistants who I have apparently met at the airport and those selling services on a website I dare not visit

Yes, I shook my head on that one, and I suppose because of that my comment was deleted...tears.;)

From my perspective, by allowing comment moderation I can be more liberal and allow anonymous comments. I think this makes it more likely to receive comments. I reason if I did not use comment moderation Wade, because of the controversial nature of my blogs, I would have taken much more abuse than I have so far. Comment moderation is sort of like locking your doors art night, a bit of a pain, but necessary. It can be a hassle with the Blogger code, because it does not always work properly. Word Press blogs can be annoying as well, as some require a username and password for each individual Word Press blog, in order to leave a comment...I lose interest quickly.

NOTE:

Wade, depending on the Blogger comments for moderation to arrive by email is not always 100% certain. These need to be checked daily from the blog Dashboard.

Russ:)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've got this great way to enlarge your...

Haha. Yeah, SPAM SUCKS!

Unknown said...

I am pretty much word verification illiterate, but I definitely see the need for it! Perhaps we should form some sort of "National Do Not Leave Spam Comments" list?

How do you find out what random Google searches led people to your blog? I love reading what hilarious subjects lead people to others' blogs.

Wade said...

Hey Suz,

Sad isn't it the lengths we have to go through just to feel safe these day?
________________________________

Hey Helen,

Dyslexic bloggers unite!
________________________________

Hey Russ,

Good points with Comment Moderation. The only problem I have with it is that it only adds to my daily work load! At least with Word Verification, the extra step falls on the commenter and not the blogger!!

:)

(Yes, I know - I'm a lazy blogger!)
_________________________________

Hey Josh,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets those comments/emails!
________________________________

Hey Kate,

Great idea on the national list! I volunteer you to head it up!

As for checking how people get to your blog, go to your Site Meter dashboard and click on By Referrals. Then hover your mouse over any link starting with "www.google.com". The entire link page will appear and you can read the text that person typed to find your blog. Yep, pretty hilarious stuff!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W