Sunday, April 08, 2007

QOTW: Don't Sweetie Talk Me!

This week's QOTW was prompted by a recent interchange between me and a lady cashier at at a gas station.

I walked up to the counter to pay for my Oak Farms Chocolate Milk.

Lady Cashier: "Will that be all, sweetie?"

(Excuse me?)

Sweetie (Me): "Yeah, that'll do it."

Lady Cashier: "Here's your change, sweetie."

(Don't push it, lady!)

Sweetie: "Uh . . . thanks."

Lady Cashier: "Have a great day, sweetie."

(Umph!)

I know she was just trying being nice. I know she wasn't flirting (because nobody ever flirts with me!). But that 'sweetie' talk bugs the heck out of me!

First of all, I'm not that kind of guy! I'm not your sweetie! It's hard for me to trust someone who immediately throws out the sweet talk! Even when Kelly does it I automatically think that she is either (1) about to ask for a favor or (2) apologize for something.

I've never felt comfortable with sweet talking people; with the obvious exception of calling Kelly 'Babe' (which I do regardless if I need something or want to apologize!). So I guess that's why I've never felt comfortable with people sweet talking me.

Just call me a grumpy old man!
____________________________________________________

"Does it bother you when people you don't know call you 'sweetie', 'hun' or 'darlin'?

Total votes: 23

Yes! It bothers me!: 13 votes, 56%

No, they're just trying to be nice: 8 votes, 34%

No. In fact, I do it all the time: 2 votes, 8%

4 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

In respose to next weeks question:
Jeff does our taxes, last minute. He is a finacial guy so he says it reminds him of his days in college when he would frantically work to crunch the numbers-I have learned to let him do whatever he pleases b/c he always gets in there on time (thank God for he works for FEDEX) and I have never been affected by "the crunch time."

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

Wade, try being an RN in the ER and only looking like you are 15 years old! The "older" patients used the sweet talk on me alllllll the time!

That part didn't bother me as much as people my age calling older people sweetie and honey. That is just disrespectful, I think!

Wade said...

Hey Suz,

Some people just think better when there's a little pressure . . . and I would not be one of them!
_____________________________

Hey Shannon,

I agree! It's one thing calling someone younger sweetie but totally another if you call an elder sweetie.

That being said - there was one time when I was walking out of a store the same time as an old gentlemen was trying walk in. I stopped, opened the door for him and said, "Come on in, young man!"

He looked back over his shoulder and then said, "You talkin' to me?" He got a good laugh out of it. But that's the only time I've said anything along those lines.

Thanks all for stopping by,

W