Sunday, April 01, 2007

QOTW: A Song In My Head

Despite having so much in common, Kelly and I couldn't be more different when it comes to music.

A discussion we had today will give you a good idea what I mean: Kelly's first few albums she purchased after gaining musical consciousness were Spies Like Us (funny movie but stupid song - even if Sir Paul wrote it!), WHAM! and Julian Lennon. She would eventually go on to purchase her own pair of MC Hammer pants, so that makes her a fan even if she never bought one of his albums!



I recently gave Kelly's dad (who grew up listening to great music in the 60's & 70's) a hard time about totally dropping the ball in teaching his daughters appropriate music appreciation.

I, however, was brought into musical consciousness by the sounds of the Fab Four, The Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix - those whom, I should say, have made a much more lasting impression on the musical landscape! My self-taught music appreciation progressed from there through each decade.



I still think the best music has already been written back in the 60's.

Here are my top picks from each decade.

1965 - Help! by The Beatles



1979 - My Sharona by The Knack (Racy lyrics but great guitar solo)



1987 - With or Without You by U2 (Pretty much tied with Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For)



1991 - Mysterious Ways by U2 (My all-time favorite Rock & Roll song!)



2000's - Zzzzzzz . . . (Oh pa-lease! I'm not even crazy about anything U2 has put out lately!)

OK, I'm sure you're all shaking your heads at my picks. Fine, then! Tell me where I'm wrong!
__________________________________________________

"Which decade has the best music?"

Total votes: 25

1980's: 9 votes, 36%

1970's: 8 votes, 32%

1960's: 5 votes, 20%

1990's: 2 votes, 8%

2000's: 1 vote, 4%

5 comments:

tara said...

What about U2's All that you can't leave behind? Great song, great video, and pretty much Bono's hot so it's like a trifecta.

Kelly said...

Hey now, Wham rocked! And, they're fun music came with a huge neon yellow T-shirt with some funny saying on it that I can't remember. At my 5th and 6th grade slumber parties, we had dance competitions to Wham and the Footloose soundtrack. Good times!

Kelly said...

One more thing...as much as you hate to admit it...two of the great songs of the 2000s...Bye, Bye, Bye-'N Sync or Cry Me a River-JT.

Admit it!!!! :)

Wade said...

Hey Tara,

Don't get me wrong, both of U2's albums this decade (Leave Behind and Atomic Bomb) are great but I was crazy about them.

That being said, In A Little While is a great groove song.

Do you get the Rave channel? If so, keep an eye out for the Vertigo Tour video in HD - absolute greatness!!

As for Bono's hotness . . . eh . . . you would probably know more about that then I would!

(How's that for a non-answer?)
______________________________

Hey Babe,

Are you serious?

Just because a group was a big player in your 6th Grader world doesn't mean that they were musical greatness!

Sorry but WHAM! isn't the best group to use as evidence and movie soundtracks aren't qualified for consideration.

As for Mr. Timberlake. No, I will not admit that JT has 2 good, much less great, songs in in the 2000's.

That being said, I will admit that I was slightly impressed to see him play a musical instrument during the Grammies - a dying artform amoung Top 40 artists these days.

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Wade said...

Deister, Deister, Deister!

Creed? Creed? Creed?

(You know which sound drop is playing in my head right now, don't you?)

You're kidding, right?

I actually stopped to consider One as the top song of the 90's - one of the best songs, no doubt. I've just always loved Mysterious Ways.

In regards to your statement that subjectivity allows people to be wrong (ahem!) - perhaps, but it also leaves the opportunity to allow people to believe that they are right!

So, ya-hooty!

(As Normy-Norm-Norm would say!)