Sunday, April 22, 2007

QOTW: The Greatest Garage Sale Idea Ever!

My question of the week was about garage sales since there was a neighboorhood garage sale in our neighborhood this past weekend.

(I realize my opening sentence has all sorts of grammar issues - just fight through it!)

Garage sales are both great and an absolute beating.

They're great if people actually buy a lot of your stuff - thus clearing the clutter out of your home. But the brick to the head comes when you realize you're hagling with some old lady about the price of a 50-cent coffee mug!

The killer is when you count all your money after a full Saturday's work and you've totaled up a whole $54.20 - and that includes the $20 in change you started off with!! It's hardly worth the effort!

That's when I came up with the ingenious idea of having a Free Garage Sale! Everything is free so long as you take it away! Pretty clever, right? No hagling! No bargaining! Just a 'no purchase required' shopping spree of some of the best "left-over, we-don't-need-it, Kelly-painted-the-bedroom-so-these-pillows-don't-match-anymore" stuff we have to offer!

Brilliant! I get rid of our clutter without having to worry about getting ripped off by the Red Hat Club! Plus, since everything's free I don't have to sit outside and make change all day long. Just put out a sign that says "Everything's Free!" and people will come haul off your stuff! Genius!

So how did it go? Actually, I got lazy at the last minute and didn't do it! We had company over this weekend and I forgot to buy the posterboard for the signs and then there weren't many other people on our street doing a garage sale so I didn't think many people would even stop by . . . so I bailed!

But what a great idea for next year, right?!?

By the way, Kelly & I visited a few garage sales and I found a cycling water bottle and paid only 25 cents for it!!

Sucker!
_________________________________________________________

"Would you rather have a garage sale or go garage sale-ing?"

Total votes: 18

Have a garage sale: 8 votes, 44%

Stay home and sleep in: 7 votes, 38%

Go garage sale-ing: 3 votes, 16%

3 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

I am doing a garage sale with a group of friends from church-we want to get rid of it all while talking about the latest and greatest in our lives. Should be fun, I will keep you posted

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keri said...

Sounds like a good idea sorry it didn't work out right now. I hate getting garage sales together and all the work but I love going to them!!!

Take care,
Keri