Wednesday, August 22, 2007

There's A Sucker Born Every Minute!

I recently received this forwarded email from a friend who, for obvious reasons, shall remain nameless:

"THIS TOOK TWO PAGES OF THE TUESDAY USA TODAY - IT IS FOR REAL!

To all of my friends, I do not usually forward messages, But this is from my friend who is an attorney.
If she says that this will work - it will work. After all, what have you got to lose?

SORRY EVERYBODY . . . JUST HAD TO TAKE THE CHANCE!!! This thing is for real. Rest assured AOL and Intel will follow through with their promises for fear of facing a multimillion-dollar class action suit similar to the one filed by PepsiCo against General Electric not too long ago.

Dear friends, please do not take this for a junk letter. Bill Gates is sharing his fortune. If you ignore this, you will repent later.

Microsoft and AOL are now the largest Internet companies and in an effort to make sure that Internet Explorer remains the most widely used program, Microsoft and AOL are running an e-mail beta test.

When you forward this e-mail to friends, Microsoft can and will track it (if you are a Microsoft Windows user) for a two week time period.

For every person that you forward this e-mail to, Microsoft will pay you $245.00 For every person that you sent it to that forwards it on, Microsoft will pay you $243.00 and for every third person that receives it, You will be paid $241.00. Within two weeks, Microsoft will contact you for your address and then send you a check.

Thought this was a scam myself, But two weeks after receiving this e-mail and forwarding it on. Microsoft contacted me for my address and within days, I received a check for $24,800.00 . You need to respond before the beta testing is over. If anyone can afford this, Bill Gates is the man.

It's all marketing expense to him. Please forward this to as many people as possible. You are bound to get at least $10,000.

We're not going to help them out with their e-mail beta test without getting a little something for our time. My brother's girlfriend got in on this a few months ago. When I went to visit him for the Baylor/UT game, she showed me her check. It was for the sum of $4, 324.44 and is stamped "Paid In Full".
"


It took me all of 15 seconds to go to Snopes.com and find that this exact letter has been floating around the email world since 1997!

Don't go spending that money just yet, buddy!

What's funny is that I received this same email yet again from someone else while writing this post!

Now let's all say it together: If it's too good to be true . . . . .

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

no joke! I have received a few of these in the last week as well and I can't hit that delete button fast enough. I mean, come on people!!

Wade said...

Hey J,

It's funny how dollar $ign$ pop up in people's eye so quickly that they can't even see what a farce this stuff is.

You can tell how the whole design of the letter is to make those who forward it on to others look foolish - and it works!

Sadly, this letter in particular has been working for 10 years!

By the way, I noticed your comment on Kelly's blog about visiting your church - we'd love to hear about it. Email me at rstrzine@cephalon.com

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Chris and Sarah said...

You mean I've been waiting for my check for the past 7 months for nothing? I guess I shouldn't have quit my job.

Chris and Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Wade, it is good to expose these scammers!:)

Keri said...

I hate these emails!!!

GliterallyScoot said...

I love snopes. I love proving people wrong with snopes. I love knowing this stuff is a hoax and having a place to find out. Ahhhh...snopes. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, send it to me ;-)
*lol*

I bet that someone has this translated in German very soon - so far I haven't seen it over here, but a lot of other mess.
There's an Email on free mobile phones from Nokia that keeps going around each year...

Whenever I receive garbage like this from a friend, I send them the link to a German webpage that shows if the Emails are true or not...

Helen

Wade said...

Hey Helen,

I had half hoped that cultured Europeans knew better than waste time with stuff like this!

Oh well, at least it's a little comforting to know that Americans aren't alone in this digital garbage!

How was London?

W