Saturday, August 25, 2007

Why Does This Stuff Happen To Me?

Today is my 32nd birthday. Unfortunately, it's one I'll never forget.

It started out great with 45-mile bike ride in the morning - although I nearly died of heat stroke towards the end.

I actually remember telling myself during the ride to be extra careful because it would really stink to have an accident and have to spend my birthday in the ER.

(In High School, we referred to this as foreshadowing)

With family coming over later for dinner I made my way into the kitchen in the afternoon to start cutting the husks off of my world famous grilled corn on the cob. Suddenly I noticed that I wasn't cutting corn husks - I was cutting my finger!

Blankity-blank-bleepin'-blank!

Kelly and I did all that we could to stop the bleeding but we soon realized I would need stitches! And on my birthday no less!!

So with company due at 6:30, dinner for 11 nowhere near ready, the house a mess, Tate about to wake up and needing to be fed and neither of us dressed for the evening, I left at 5:00 for the urgent care clinic.

I have to hand it to Kelly. If I were her I would probably just said 'the heck with it' and ordered pizza! But somehow she was able to get everything ready in time all by herself. I wonder if that has anything to do with her being passed out on the couch right now.

As for me, I got to go pay $35 to have 5 sutures implanted in my finger. When it looked like I wasn't going to get out of there anytime soon I started to fake fainting due to a loss of blood. I guess I'm not a very good actor because it still took 2 hours to get in and out.

Dinner back at home went great and my family was super-sympathetic. And now I have to say that the only thing that really hurts at the moment is realization that those stinkin' Dallas Cowboys have some type of dang mental block when it comes to playing the Houston Texans! Those stinkin' Cowboys!

Maybe for my birthday next year Kelly will buy me a book on self-preservation. That is, of course, if I make it to my next birthday!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the "accident". I guess it could have been worse...and you could be like my Uncle after his Lawnmower accident (with only 9 1/2 Fingers).

Happy 32nd Birthday. We love you, accidents and all.

Rick and Steph

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

HAPPY 32ND B-DAY INSPITE OF THE STICHES! THAT IS NOT A FUN WAY TO CELEBRATE YOUR BIRTHDAY IS IT?

IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL ANY BETTER MY MOM BROKE HER ARM ON MY 13TH B-DAY IN THE FWC PARKING LOT AFTER COMING TO EAT LUNCH WTH ME AT SCHOOL. SHE DROVE HERSELF TO THE HOSPITAL WITH A BROKEN ARM.

WAY TO BE A BIG BOY AND NOT BEG KELLY TO COME WITH YOU TO THE ER.

SUSAN

Jenni said...

we should start calling you Tim Taylor.....

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Wade,

Happy Birthday, my friend. I am sorry about your finger. I did the 'red sauce' thing in the kitchen when I was kid, as I sliced my wrist open with an electric can opener.

Since you are Church of Christ, I would be interested in your comments on my latest article on thekingpin68...

Russ:)

Wade said...

Hey R & S,

What's with the quotations marks around "accident"? It's not like I do this stuff on purpose!

Love you guys, too!
______________________________

Hey Suz,

For some reason I vaguely remember your mom breaking her arm. I didn't remember that she did it at FWC but I seem to remember seeing her are in a sling/cast.
______________________________

Hey J,

I'm figuring that as a Home Improvement reference (nice, by the way). In which case I'll remind you that I wasn't using the Corn Husk Saw T1000 when tragedy struck!

I promise! I don't bring this stuff on myself! It just happens!
______________________________

Hey Russ,

An electric can opener? That makes cringe just as much as getting cut with a knife!

I'll be glad to read your post!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W

Anonymous said...

You sure do know how to celebrate important occasions!!!!

You can compare your scar with Buster's 7 stitches in his paw next week. Unfortunately they cost me a lot more than $35!!!!!!!!!!! He had to stay away from his nightly play group for 10 days. Are you on restricted activity????????

Can't wait to see the finger in person. Take care and get to CA in 1 piece!!!!!!!!

Aunt B

Wade said...

Hey Aunt B,

I'm sure Buster and I will become fast friends seeing how we have a certain disability in common!

As for restricted activity, Kelly has put me on notice! Anything that I do that causes her to spend an extended period of time flying solo with a 8-month old must be submitted for approval at least 90 days in advance!

Can't wait for sunny NoCal! Go Bears!

W

Shannon said...

Wade! I mean this in a good way...only you!!

Sorry about the birthday boo boo:) At least you have an excuse for getting out of washing the dishes!

Wade said...

Hey Shannon,

Only me, I know. I should do a post on all the ways I have given my health insurance company a run for thier $$$.

I am proud to say that I have already done the dishes! One handed, thank you very much! Besides, they said to keep it dry only for the first 24 hrs.

Oh, well! I'm not one to play the handicap card . . . unless I have a migraine - in which case the world must come to a complete stop and so help you if anyone so much as makes a sound!

(Don't worry, I'll bring my migraine meds with me to CA!)

W

Keri said...

HA!!! I guess boys never grow out of injuries that will scar.

Mo said...

Sorry to hear about the knuckle on your finger, and all on your birthday. A few years ago on Thanksgiving morning, my wife sliced a chunk of her finger off prior to our dinner and we spent the morning in ER, so know the feeling.
Stinkin' Cowboys is right!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Birthday!!!

But can you hear me giggling? That scar will for sure remind you of that day!
Great wife of yours!

I once cut my right thumb because someone left a sharp knife soaking in the sink. I went for a plaster, put on a rubber glove at my right hand, went back to the sink and cut my left thump with the very same knife. Boy, that wasn't my day for sure!!!

summer said...

Looks like we're birthday buddies! I turned 30 on Saturday. No stitches for me, though. That looks painful, and right on the bendy part, too! (Excuse my technical medical jargon.) Hope it heals quickly! And Happy Belated Birthday!

Wade said...

Hey Keri,

Of course not! Scar tissue is like a badge of honor! We look tough while inside we know we screamed like a little girl!
________________________________

Hey Mo,

I'm sure there's some highly scientific data floating around that shows how there's a higher percentage of household accidents on holidays. And probably due to (1)more people in the kitchen on holidays, (2) more people in the a rush while in the kitchen on holidays and (3) more people getting ticked off at the Cowboys on holidays and consequently being distracted!

Sorry to hear about your turkey day tragedy!
______________________________

Hey Helen,

Yeah, you assume there's a lot that I wouldn't be able to accomplish without Kelly!

Your experience is exactly why I always soak my knives in a cup - I'm always afraid of cutting myself when reaching in the sink or dish washer!
______________________________

Hey Summer,

Wow! I never knew that! Happy 30th! Hope is a was a good one for you! I love your medical jargon - I'll be sure to use that in my discussions with physicians!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W

Anonymous said...

Perhaps for your next b'day or Christmas someone should buy you one of those metal mesh gloves that meat carvers wear! With your luck the tip of the knife would go through the mesh though!

Oh...and Go Texans! (that's the only time I don't pull for Da Boys! It's those Houston roots I guess.

Happy B-day! (late)

B-Mom

Wade said...

Hey B-Mom,

I actually thought about those gloves. But you're right - watch me still cut myself because of doing something like wearing the glove inside out!

Be good!

W