Friday, September 21, 2007

ACU Reunion at Cafe Express

Kelly, Tate and I were enjoying a nice dinner out on the patio at Cafe Express when a woman pointed at my hat and said, "ACU? As in Abilene Christian University?"

Since my hat had both ACU and Abilene Christian University on the front I was tempted to say something sarcastic like, "No. ACU as in Atrociously Crusty Underpants!"

But since I didn't have the nerve I just said, "Yes! How did you know?"

She sat down at our table (that's right, she sat down!) and told us all about how she went to "Abilene Christian College" and could still remember the names of all the girls in Nelson Dorm when she lived there; about how much she hated West Texas wind; about how bad Abilene water tasted back then; about how she's a bad singer (still not sure what that has to do with going to ACU); about how she used to be a teacher in Odessa; about how she prayed for a Christian husband but then meet "a boy" who liked her but wasn't a Christian but he "converted" once they started dating; and about how they now go to a church down the street and that we needed to come visit.

Although she was very nice and I enjoyed our conversation, it was difficult for me to pay attention to what she was saying because all I could think was, "Man, that sure is a big piece of lettuce stuck in her teeth!"

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

just by the comment "Abilene Christian College", I can tell she is old. That is what my grandparents still call it because back then, that is what they called it and it's hard for them to remember the University part. Too funny!

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

that's funny!

she sure gave you a bunch of info in a short time though