Friday, September 28, 2007

Tree

Do you remember the first major purchase that made you feel all "grown-up"?

I'm sure the usuals would be along the lines of buying your first car, closing on your first house or even buying an engagement ring.

But let me add one to the list: buying a tree. In an effort to beautify our back yard, Kelly and I bought a tree last week.

The first feeling you have when you shop for a tree is sticker shock! Holy live oaks! Those things are expensive!

How much for just an acorn?!?

The second and lingering feeling is the realization, when driving away in your car, that you have just purchased, of all things, a tree for your yard. I guess it strikes me as a little odd since I'm usually the one who's in the market for stuff like cycling jerseys, iPhones and/or the latest The Simpson's season on DVD. Purchasing a tree just seems like something my parents would do.

Gasp! I'm turning into my parents!

But now that our new arborian friend has found its new home in our backyard, I'm please to say that I've yet to have the typical third feeling of the purchasing process: buyer's remorse.


And I'm sure Al Gore, tree-hugger extraordinaire, feels much better knowing that Kelly and I are doing our part to protect the ozone layer directly above our house!

9 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

It looks nice Wade. A good place for barbeques, and 'soccer tournaments' against the dog.

Keri said...

Trees are so expensive!! :) Cameron wants to get a multi-trunked oak and I nearly spit out my drink when he told me the cost!! How long does a seedling take a grow???

Jenni said...

yes, the car and house are right up there, but everything I buy for the yard of the house makes me feel more like a grownup - the weedeater, leaf blower, etc.

Casdok said...

Turning into your parents...the thing you swore you would never do!!!
Love your tree!

Jill said...

Oh it looks so nice! I look at our tree we planted when we first bought our house 7 years ago. We just had Quinn then and now here we are with 3 more and our tree is getting so big and offers lots of shade for us. How'd that happen so fast?!

Anonymous said...

Wow, beautiful! I love planting things and trees are just great!

There is a German Proverb, that says that each true man should
1) father a son
2) built a house
3) plant a tree
:-)

But I agree on the prices. I was trying to get a red (japanese) acorn, since they look so beautiful in autum. But I backed off, when I saw the prices, since I did not want to invest so much money for a garden I do not even own.

Wade said...

Hey Russ,

Now that the evenings are actually cool here we can finally enjoy being out in the back yard.

As for the soccer tournaments with my dog - absolutely! Unfortunately Macy's a bit of a cheater - she picks up the ball and runs with it in her mouth.

I guess that means she's more into football.

Can't wait to square off with Tate though!
______________________________

Hey Keri,

Ooooo, multi-trunked oak!

I actually thought about emailing you and having you ask Cameron if these prices seemed right. I eventually bought from a tree farm that was open to the public - I think I got a good price.

By the way, you seem to have a habit of spitting out your drinks, don't you? I'm going to keep that mind if we ever meet for dinner!
_____________________________

Hey Jenni,

Weedeater! That's a good one! I remember looking at my new lawnmower and thinking, "Wow! I actually own a lawnmower!"

But you have a leaf blower - that's big time!
_____________________________

Hey Helen,

That's a cool proverb. I've got 2 of 3 down - don't think I'll be building any of houses though!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W

Wade said...

Hey Casdok,

I have an OCD tendency to get really bent out of shape if I go a couple of weeks without mowing or my yard gets over grown with weeds . . . so glad that I have my parents to thank for that!
________________________________

Hey Jill,

Great hearing from you! How are Callie and the boys?

To me, watching a tree/plant grow is the big payoff to all the hard yard work. I took a picture of all the baby shrubs in front of our house when we moved in and I'm amazed how big they've all gotten . . . kinda like I'm amazed that Tate now barely fits on his changing table!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

laura said...

Wade, the fun part about a tree is that Tate will get to watch it grow with him! We planted (okay, my dad) planted a live oak at our house in Bryan, TX and I still remember that with every A&M game we go back for, we drive by the old house and see how much it has grown. I remember that first trip back when you could see it up over the roof (since it was in the back yard) and we were so excited that our little tree had grown up. Happy growing and memories to come.