Thursday, September 13, 2007

8 Randoms

Kelly tagged me.

Making a list of 8 random things about myself isn't too hard to do. It's making a list of 8 random things about myself that I'm not too embarrassed to tell the blog world about that's proving to be a bit difficult!

1. Just Say No to Radio Ads - I won't listen to radio ads. They're annoying - especially after the 4,132nd time! Such noise pollution! It drives Kelly crazy how I will turn down the volume during commercial breaks. Ultimately, I'd rather sit in complete silence than listen to another over-the-top car dealership ad that ends with a 30-second legal disclaimer at 400 words a minute!

2. Restaurant Karma - Thanks to my one-sided hearing I must have first dibs on where to sit at a restaurant table. I keep telling Kelly it's for her own good. If my one good ear is facing towards the noisy kitchen then she'll spend the entire meal repeating herself.

3. Clutter Kills - If I have an OCD tendency on anything then it's with clutter. I hate clutter! There are times when I can no longer stand the clutter and go on a cleaning/re-organizing spree. When I do, watch out! If something hasn't been used in the last 3 months and it's not in its proper place then there's a good chance it'll end up in the dumpster!

No kidding! I once threw away a perfectly good coffee maker because we hadn't used it once during the 4 years it sat in our kitchen and it was cluttering up our kitchen counter.

(Kelly made me go buy a new one!)

4. Don't Call Me Picky! - I am more than capable and willing to eat almost anything. But I choose to be selective on what makes my menu of acceptable food units. Despite being called strictly a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy (which is a great meal, by the way), I do find opportunities to stretch my culinary horizons from time to time.

Even today I tried a crab cake wrap for the first time. I may have to move that one up to the top of my rotation - quite delish! But just because I may pass on your grandmother's spinach casserole doesn't mean I don't have a refined pallet! I'm just being a little selective!

5. Not Worth Seeing TV - Aside from major sporting events, The Colbert Report, The Office and an occasional news broadcast, I don't watch TV. (1) I don't have the time. (2) There is a decreasing amount of quality programming that's even worth watching. Just because reality TV is popular, it doesn't mean it's any good! (3) Watching TV takes away too much time from blogging!

6. Coverage Denied - That's what I'm eventually going to hear from my medical insurance company if I keep injuring myself. In the last 8 years I have:

- Hyper-extended my knee playing softball.

- Sprained my ankle who-knows-how-many times playing softball.

- Suffered a head injury while playing basketball and was hospitalized for 2 days.

- Sustained another head injury a month later by a silver platter-wielding waitress and had to go back to the ER.

- Consequently suffered dreadful migraines as a result of my head injuries. I hate migraines!

- Ridden in an ambulance to Dallas Baylor ER after my cycling accident - no hospital stay, whew!

- Nearly sliced my finger off - which is healing nicely, by the way!

7. Clearing The Mind At 20 mph - One of the reasons I enjoy cycling is because for at least 2 hours at a time I don't think about anything but the 50 feet of pavement directly ahead of me - which, in a weird way, is actually quite refreshing. It's when I stop thinking about the 50 feet of pavement when I land in the ER!

8. "Be good!" - I don't know when or where I picked up this phrase but I say it in place of "Good-bye", "Have a good day", "See you later", etc. I actually get some pretty funny responses from people ranging anywhere from "What?" to "Why would I want to do that?"

After reading my list I'm sure you've added me to your prayer list! Kelly says thank you! Let's see if we need to add The Swan, Wendy or Laura to our prayer lists, too!

2 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

- Sustained another head injury a month later by a silver platter-wielding waitress and had to go back to the ER.

Hi Wade,

That is misfortune. Have you had hot tea, coffee, or chocolate spilled on your lap as well?

Keri said...

Ha!! You made me laugh. Thanks.