Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Roll On You Bears!

I stepped away from the blog world long enough to spend an extended holiday weekend with family out in California.

Kelly will no doubt give all the details of flying with Tate, Tate meeting the NoCal clan for the first time, Tate going to his first Summer of Love Music Festival in San Francisco, Tate havin' fun at the Nut Tree (one of Kelly's old haunts), Tate hangin' with his WWII Vet Great Grandpa in the Sacramento area and Tate eating his first In-N-Out burger.

But for now, I'm going to give the play-by-play of going to the Cal game!

Go Bears!

If there was one thing that I regret about going to ACU, it was not going to a school that had good D-1 football! Since my dad-n-law went to the University of California-Berkeley, I've adopted Cal as my college team!




Here's Kelly and I as we're walking into Memorial Stadium on game day!


Once we got through the gates I bumped into my old pal, Kirk Herbstreit. He and I started talking about the game and he said I made some excellent points and asked if he could use them during the television broadcast - to which I said yes.*


(By the way, can someone tell me why my camera makes Kirk look a bronzy tan and me a sickly white?)

Here's Kelly and Shannon.


Here's me and Butch - sometimes known as 'Anonymous' in the blog world!


What a game it was! We won! "Pac-10 football!"


At the end of the game, all the students rushed the field in mad hysteria after beating Tennessee. Since I'm not one to just stand by and watch other people have all the fun, I coerced Butch into running on the field with me.


This is usually one of those moments when I'm the one guy who gets arrested or gets trampled at the bottom of the mosh pit at mid-field. I'm glad to say that I was able to get on and off the field without having to post bail or needing medical attention!

(Yet another proud moment for Kelly!)


It was obviously too late of an evening for Tate to be able to tag along so dad-n-law made sure to get him a souvenir. Thanks for the hat, Grandpa!


More posts on California coming soon!
__________________________________________________________

*For those of you who don't know, Kirk Herbstreit is an ESPN analyst. He's not one of my old pals. And I barely had 3 seconds to take a quick picture of the two of us before he realized that I was just a 30-something idiot who was way too excited to see him walking down the sidewalk!

6 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hey Wade,

I am curious, are you originally from California?

Russ

Anonymous said...

Glad to see everyone made it home safe and sound. Go Bears, we're #10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great pics, please send copies...

Aunt Barb

Jennifer said...

You crazy guy!

Jody said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! I share your regret about not having a D-1 football team to support. Have a great week!

Wade said...

Hey Russ,

Nope! Born and raised in Texas!

All of Kelly's family are from either California or Oregon so we make annual treks west each year.

Kelly is a true Texan as well spending all her time between Houston and Fort Worth.
________________________________

Hey Aunt B,

Great seeing you guys as well! Tell Butch we're sorry about bailing on him at the last minute - the kids were too exhausted for dinner. I was thinking about maybe just he and I heading out somewhere but I was afraid I would fall asleep mid-Dr. Pepper.

We had fun with Amy but BART wore us out! Too crowded!

Copies are on the way!
________________________________

Hey J,

Crazy until Kelly has to come bail me out!
________________________________

Hey J & J,

Why don't you and I do an E-MBA together at SMU and go cheer on the Mustangs? At least we'll see the opponents rack up big numbers!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W

Anonymous said...

Great pictures of Saturday's Game. It was definitely one of the best CAL Games to attend. Hope the rest of the Season goes as well.

Glad the Strzinek Family had fun on the Trip. Love that CAL Hat on Tate. GO BEARS!!

Grandpa/rpe