Tuesday, September 25, 2007

'Til Oprah Do Us Part?

In an effort not to be a terrible husband, I've been looking for more things Kelly and I can do together. Since I don't watch much non-sports-related TV, I've been trying to watch some of Kelly's TV shows with her.

But I had to draw the line a couple nights ago when Kelly said she found a show for that we could watch together. Unfortunately for me, this is what I saw on TV when I walked into our living room:



Justin Timberlake talking about Britney Spears on Oprah.

(Umph! It's the pop culture trifecta from you know where!)

Pardon me as I take a quick moment to review our nuptuals. . . . Nope! Nothing there that says I have to watch Oprah!

So without saying a single word, I turned around and went back up to my office. Kelly thought I was over-reacting just a bit!

Hey! I'm all about spending quality time with my dear sweet wife but must it involve the likes of Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears and/or Oprah?

And of all people, these three are the least likely to add quality to my time with Kelly. Let me explain:

Justin Timberlake: On multiple occaisions, Kelly has referred to him as her "boyfriend"!

(Some boyfriend! What has he ever done? I bet he doesn't even know the difference between the ventrolateral preoptic area and the tuberomammilary nucleus in the hypothalamus? What a loser!)

Oprah: I don't deny that she is the most powerful woman in North America (Sorry, Senator Clinton), but can we get a little less Orpah and a little more North America, please?

Britney Spears: Oh yeah, I'm sure there's quite a bit she can teach me about nurturing a loving marriage!

So Kelly, let me assure you that I am committed to our lifelong relationship and remain willing to do anything (well, almost anything!) to make sure we continue to have quality time together.

But, for the betterment of our marriage, let's make a deal: I won't force you to watch two random, unranked colleges play football if you won't try to spoon feed me Oprah!

12 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

jeff hates oprah, he has nicknamed her "Bealzebub." I am starting to agree. HEE! HEE!

Today was the absolute worst show EVER! I changed the channel, i get tired of her glorifying the junk of this world.

stepping off my soap box now

Beverly said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. You have a beautiful family.
I enjoyed this post. When we were first married, hubby always sat and watched shows with me like trading spaces and food network challenge. Not anymore! He looks at me wearily and says, "i really don't want to watch this -- can you tape it?"

Keri said...

If I have to watch CSI then Cam should watch Dancing with the Stars. Seems only fair right???

Love the post!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

I can stomach the Oprah show for maybe five minutes...

Russ:)

Mike Messerli said...

Wade,

Thanks for the post. It's funny you found my blog through Helen's....we are just down the road from you in Double Oak on 407!

What a long way to find someone nearby.

If you are looking for a church home come visit, I would love to meet you. We are near the corner of 407 & 2499.

Thanks for your posts as well, I'll be back to visit.

Casdok said...

Oprah, thankfully we dont get it much over here!

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

Do give yourself a treat: watch that and you will love your wife for only watching Oprah with you! :-)))

It just went through all the newspapers in Germany and if you still haven't enough, meet the guy at
http://www.youtube.com/user/itschriscrocker

... and I bet by now you'll never visit my blog again because you'll be afraid of what I'll recommend to your next *lol*

tara said...

You are really mean - how many golf tournaments, football games, basketball games, and Tour de Frances has Kelly sat through and never once walked out in a huff? Or blogged about how both teams are the anti-Christ? You should apologize.

If you really want quality tv I say check out the Daily 10 on E!
Or you can be like us and tivo Jeopardy and then play against each other when the kiddo goes to bed.

Kelly said...

THANK YOU Tara!!! :)

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Good points.

There are plenty of questionable male orientated programs on television, like many of the new gruesome Hollywood and made for TV horror films.

Russ:)

Wade said...

Hey Suz,

Bealzebub?! Wow! Talk about taking it to a whole new level! Jeff sounds like my kind of guy!
________________________________

Hey Beverly,

I'm the same way about most TV shows. I seem to get my fill within the first few minutes. I just keep thinking of things I'd rather be doing.
________________________________

Hey Keri,

The key word here is makes. If he makes you watch CSI, then yes you can make him watch Dancing/Stars. But if he watches CSI on his own then you shouldn't make him watch Dancing/Stars with you.
________________________________

Hey Russ,

5 minutes, huh? You're a better man than I!

As far as your 'good points' comment - is that directed to Tara or me? If me, then THANK YOU very much! If Tara, then maybe I should consider comment moderation!

Ha!
________________________________

Hey Mike,

Small world, aye?

It's amazing how small it becomes via the web!
________________________________

Casdok,

No Oprah? Hmmmm, I wonder if I can put in for a transfer to England!
________________________________

Hey Helen,

That guy is PSYCHO!!!!!!!

The sports radio station I listen to have been making fun of him ever since this video came out!

Talk about priorities out of whack!
_________________________________

OK Tara,

(Momemtary pause as I roll up my sleeves!)

First, need I remind you that I had your back when you recently vented on your blog? I even stepped out and suggested that Dwight should cut you a little slack! I was working for you! So where's love?

And you're right, Kelly has never walked away in a huff after watching my football games because I don't MAKE her watch them! She may watch them on her own. But I never suggest to her that we should watch a game together!

I want to watch TV with her but my point is: can't we find something we both enjoy - The Office, Grey's Anatomy, etc. Just not Oprah!

E!? Are you serious? E!? I like the Jeopardy idea though.
________________________________

Hey Babe,

Don't encourage her!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hey Wade,

Oh I am sure you are a nice guy.;) By good points, I meant overall comments, and that men and women do sit through at times, questionable programming for the opposite gender, or even programming that generally one sex would find interesting and the other not. I don't suppose Oprah is always bad, but just made primarily for women.

As for comment moderation, I am all for it...;)