Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Adopt-An-Atheist Program

During my recent Tour de California, I passed a sign outside Sacramento that read:

"Adopt-A-Highway:

Atheist and other Freethinkers"



(not actual sign obviously)

In my daily pursuit of tolerance towards those who make me want to pull my hair out, I remind myself that we're all entitled to our own opinion.

That being said, it just makes me wonder how a group of people whose world view is defined by a list of absolutes (disbelief in a god, Big Bang Theory, Darwinism, etc.) could think of themselves as "freethinkers".

But hey, more power to them if they feel the need to clean up the streets, right?

1 comment:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Perhaps some think religious persons are not free thinkers since they have dogma, and yet non-religious folks can have dogma as well. The term free thinker is a questionable one.

Good point, Wade.